Chapter 30 page 3 - Wrecking World

Despite being in complete darkness, I heard the sound of a distant siren hollering but I don't know where it comes from. Then, I feel stab like stinging creeps through my tissues and muscles but I can't find its source points to put an end to it. It throbs profusely for several moments and then regresses.

After that, my vision becomes clear when I see bright light emerge around me. I feel my levitating soul takes me through an unknown tunnel into a make-believe world like in the movie 'Inception'. I float through corridors where people dress in white garb and surgical masks shuffle in and out of an operation theatre room in orderly manner. I'm somewhat aware that all of this is just a dream and in reality I'm inside that room lying on a soft reclining surface getting myself resuscitated.

Nevertheless, I refuse to get out of this contented dream for whatever reason I can't recall. I plan to bide here where nobody can hurt me for as long as I want. I don't actually remember the people who had been oppressing me but I know they are out there and I'm not ready to meet them.

I drift myself into a small waiting room outside the OT to find a beautiful aged lady and a handsome young man alone by the corner engaging in a serious, sombre discussion where the lady does most of the shouting while the man holds his head in his hand, absorbing her harsh words in his weeping. I don't exactly know why they are there but I highly doubt that they are there for me.

Even with the fine lines on her face indicating that she's in her 50s, the lady somehow bears resemblance to a person I once knew when I was in teens. What's her name again? Sabari? Sabrina? I remember Sab-something. She has a kid whom she paid me to look after when she got stuck at the office. I try to call their names to mind but it prickles my brain when I do so.

The young man presumably in his early 20s shudders vehemently as he cries. I rarely see men cry but I reckon that whatever the discussion is, it has induced him to contrition. Although, I can't remember whether I've seen him before since he partially hides his face, my intuition tells me that he's someone familiar. Nevertheless, I can't make out the link between them two and what's with the inundating lamentation. I force my memory for deduction but the more I exert, the painful it gets.

My pulsating head intensifies by the lady's angry voice tormenting him. I wish the screaming could end; I don't want feelings to get hurt. I don't want him to get hurt. Unfortunately, my plea is not heard by anyone in this room as I'm only just a matter that doesn't exist in their minds. I don't belong here.

Suddenly, her yelling shakes off the perfect world that I'm in as I witness it collapse on me like an Aztec Empire being sucked into earth after its precious gem is taken from the consecrated pedestal. The duck egg walls and off-white ceiling encasing the room crack open from the vibration before stripping down one by one and crumble. The tremor below my feet follows suit, whipping the floors into two until I can see the rippling earth underneath forces up onto the surface, wanting to swallow us immediately.

I try to warn them about the earthquake and urge them to evacuate the room, but they are too oblivious to hear my cry. I attempt to save myself instead but my feet refuse to oblige me. This heaven-like dream turns into a purgatory that lurches at me and traps me inside. I wait for my soul to fade away while the shouting becomes unceasing.

Stop with the screaming, please!

And then everything turns silent.

You have come to the end of the chapter

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

You have come to the end of the chapter. Thank you! 🥰

Like the chapter so far? Don't forget to 

Photo source : Liu zishan via Shutterstock