⑰I'll Make Sure Of That

"Shouldn't you go home and sleep? You have to wake up early tomorrow," Taehyung said after a while as he gave him a hesitant look.

"Are you worried about the obnoxious CEO?"

"Of course not. I'm just being considerate."

"Of course." Jeongguk chuckled faintly. "I don't mind sleeping late. I don't think I can sleep, anyway. Unless if you want me to leave."

"No, it's nice," he said with a bashful smile. "You're not so obnoxious right now."

"Give me a minute." His impish tone and the wiggle of his brows had both of them chuckling.

"Do you at least want something to eat? I have noodles and sandwiches."

"No, Tae, I'm okay. You should eat, though."

"I'm not that hungry."

"Are you even eating? How can you not be hungry?"

"I'm eating," he uttered below his breath as he glanced away.

"You're too skinny."

"I eat once a day at least."

The younger's eyes widened at his words. "Once a day? That's not enough."

"I'm used to it." Taehyung peeped at him, noticing the doubtful look on his face. "I'm really used to it. I wasn't eating much because I was trying to save money, and as time went by, I got used to eating only once a day."

"This is not okay, Taehyung. Don't you feel weak? You work every day." His expression saddened as he spoke in a mellow tone.

"I... do feel weak. But I can't just start eating normally again because things are a little better now. If something happens and I don't have money again, I'll starve to death."

A sigh erupted from his mouth as he didn't know what to say. He couldn't understand the wave of sympathy and concern that overflowed him when it came to that boy. Maybe Taehyung didn't know it, and the younger wouldn't tell him of course, but he wouldn't let him starve. He felt the need to protect him and look after him, and now that he met this beautiful, kind-hearted boy, he couldn't bring himself to leave him behind.

"Nothing is gonna go wrong. You should start eating properly from now on." He dismissed his feelings and thoughts and said instead.

"You don't know that."

"I do."

His confident, resolute voice drew his gaze to him. "How?"

"I'll make sure of that."

Taehyung slammed his eyes closed and heaved a sigh at his remark. "Jeongguk. Thank you for your concern and your willingness to help me, but you don't have to, and I don't want it."

"Why?" Jeongguk furrowed his eyebrows as a pout made its way to his lips.

"You helping me is like a burden to me. I will feel obligated to return the favor or pay you back somehow and I won't know how to do that because I have nothing to offer you in return."

"But I don't ask anything in return, and I will never do it."

"Then why are you so obsessed with helping me? Do you help every poor boy you meet?" Taehyung felt a flicker of annoyance braise inside him.

And Jeongguk could only sigh for the nth time. "I don't."

"Then? Why me?"

"I don't know," he muttered a few seconds later as he twisted his head away from him.