㉚But I'm Not Faking It

"I'm sorry," Taehyung uttered after almost five minutes of awkward silence. "And I'm not saying it just because now. I mean it. I shouldn't have gotten so angry at you."

"I'm sorry too," Jeongguk said with a small voice as he fixed his gaze on him. "You're right, you can do whatever you want. It's your life."

Silence again. Taehyung played with his hands nervously as he peeked at him multiple times, feeling an awful weight on his chest by his blank face. "Why don't you want me to take the job?"

Jeongguk dragged his head down with a subdued sigh and sank his teeth into his bottom lip. "Because everyone will be drooling over you. And I don't like that."

"But why does this matter to you?"

"I'll just have to protect you even more then."

"You don't have to protect me. You can care about me, but you don't have to protect me all the time," he said softly as he started crawling closer.

"But I want to." He searched for his hand under the water and pulled him to his side once he found it.

The older rested his head against his shoulder as he interlaced their fingers. "I'll make a lot of money, Jeongguk. I will be able to find a place to stay easier that way."

Exactly. He felt a piercing pang in his heart at the thought of Taehyung moving out. "Aren't you having fun here with me? Why are you so stressed about leaving?"

"I just want you to have your personal space, Kook. I don't want you to think that I'm taking advantage of you. We said I can stay here until I find something else."

"But I don't want my personal space? I mean, if I do, I can just tell you. And I know you're not like the others. You wouldn't take advantage of me. You're too kindhearted to do that. I don't mind you staying here." He darted him a hesitant glance, squeezing his hand once. "It gets lonely," he admitted in a whisper.

"I bet it does," he drawled as he offered him a delicate smile. "It's a big house for only one person."

"It is. Will you stay for a little longer even if you make more money?"

"Okay. But I'll seriously start cooking from now on. No more takeout for dinner."

"Deal." He beamed, and Taehyung draped his arms over his nape, wanting to nest inside his hug, but he stopped him in haste.

"What? Do you seriously not want my hugs anymore?"

"No! It's just that..." He scratched his nape, uneasy, as he glanced away. "I'm kind of naked?"

Taehyung's jaw dropped open with the sonorous gasp that exploded out of him. "Jeongguk!" he growled as he scrambled to go to the other side of the jacuzzi. "Why did you say okay when I asked to join you then?"

"Because I wanted you to."

"Then why didn't you wear boxers or something before I came here?"

"I was too lazy to get up, and besides, if I hadn't told you, you wouldn't even have noticed it."

"You're unbelievable!"

"What? Can you chill? You didn't see anything.. yet."

"Yet?" Taehyung questioned, his shocked expression only deepening.

The younger cracked up once he saw his adorable face, the enormous bathroom filling with his amused laughter. "I'm kidding, don't be mad, please?"

"You know what? I'm not getting into this jacuzzi with you again."