Chapter Seven

Hali's POV
Chase returned to take me back to the barn as expected. I gave him the biggest glare I could as a horse while he jumped the fence with the lead rope to attach to the halter on my face.
"Easy girl," he said while he walked towards me. He was experienced, walking towards me slowly as one should do to not spook a normal horse.
I'm not normal though.
I said I wasn't going back in the barn and dangit, I'm not going back into that barn!
As Chase reached up to clip the rope on, I grabbed it and threw it to the other side of the pasture.
Chase looked at the rope a while away then looked back at me. I knew he was going to lunge for it.
The moment he tried, I grabbed his shirt in my teeth and yanked him backwards, onto the ground. He stared up at me and I glared down at him. I bared my teeth threateningly.
I trotted away from him and grabbed the rope from the other side of the pasture. I looked him in the eye as I leaned down and set down one end of the rope on the ground and kept the other end in my teeth. I yanked, hard.
The rope tore in half and Chase looked at me in shock. Those ropes are thick since they're multiple ropes braided together.
I dropped the other end of the rope and pranced away, leaning down to graze while keeping my eyes on Chase.
He eventually got up and rubbed his neck awkwardly. He looked at me with a raised eye and sighed before leaving the pasture. He'd better have given up.
I stayed there for the rest of the day, until the stars came out. By then, it started getting cold. Since we were on or near a mountain, that was to be expected.
I grumbled to myself before going to the fence and letting out a whinny. Like predicted, Chase appeared, looking smug. He knew. That jerk!
He had another rope in his hands and clipped it onto the halter from the other side of the fence, leading me towards the gate. He opened it and led me towards the barn. He left the gate open since I had been the last horse in the pasture.
He took me to the stall at the back of the barn, greeting Ash along the way. He put me in and locked the stall. He gave me a smug grin before leaving the barn.
He shut the light off as he left, unintentionally giving me the clear to shift and leave the barn. I unlocked the stall and walked out of it, surprised that my stolen- er borrowed- clothes from before stayed. They must've been specialized for shifting acts in performances.
I peeked around the corner of the barn, looking at Chase as he walked away.
"What are you doing?" Said a voice from behind me. I whirled around to see Ash standing there, arms crossed in front of his chest with a glare on his face.
"Er, um, I'm lost. Me and my brothers were camping in the woods and I went to find something to hunt tonight," I spoke the lie with ease, which is probably why Ash saw right through it.
"Uh huh, sure. Chase told us to keep an eye out for a girl with your description, so why don't you just come with me and we see why you're here," he stated, grabbing my arm.
"I'd uh, rather not," I said, yanking my arm from his grip. I quickly turned around to dash back towards the woods only to come face to face with Chase.
Why is it that every time I transform, I always get caught? Is it karma? Or the decision of some higher being? Whatever it is is making my life harder.
"Well, this is a surprise," Chase says, raising his right eyebrow. He glanced behind him at Ash, probably looking for confirmation on my identity. He obviously received an answer he liked as he turned back to look at me.
"I've caught you out here multiple times now, so why don't you just tell me the truth? Or are you from another pack here to spy on mine?" His face quickly turned into a snarl as he let a low growl escape his throat.
"I'm not a spy, I'm not even part of a pack!" I exclaimed, shouting at him.
"If you're not a spy and you're not part of a pack, then why are you here?" He dug deeper, intent on getting the answer from me.
"I got lost, ok? I've been wandering those stupid woods for days!" I, once again, shouted. I should take up a career in acting, or maybe politics. I could lie easier than some of those political figures.
"Then why did you run away last time? And why were you about to bolt this time?" Chase growled.
"I don't know any of you, why would I stay around with people I don't know?" I responded with a snap.
"Because you claim that you're lost and lost people usually look for any signs of civilization for help. You might be good at lying, but you're not very good at knowing what you're lying about," Chase explained.
I gaped at him. He tore apart that lie easily. No wonder he's leading a pack, he can see right through deception.
Chase smiled at my gaping mouth, obviously pleased with himself. Jerk.
"Ok, so I'm not lost," I caved. Chase gestured with his hand to go on, clearly ready for the next lie and did so with a grin on his face.
What he didn't expect me to do was glare at him and run towards the woods. He whipped his head around as I disappeared into the tree line.
I climbed a tree not too far from the barn as Chase raced by, obviously too annoyed to focus on following my scent and just blindly running.
I climbed down and rushed back into the barn, unlatching the stall I currently called my residence and shifting. It no longer hurt as much to shift considering the amount of shifting I'd been doing.
I needed to be extremely careful if I were to shift here again. Chase will most likely have everyone on a lookout for someone of my description. I should lay low for a while.
With that plan in my mind, I lowered my head and closed my eyes. My thoughts quickly disappeared as I fell asleep.