Chapter Fifteen

Chase POV

I watched as my hands twitched and my eyes darted around the empty paddock. It was then, as Hali jumped back into the paddock, I relaxed slightly. I could tell it was Hali because of her green eyes. I watched from a distance as she paced around, it didn't look like she was on earth.

Making my way over to her I placed my hand on her side, letting her know I was there so I didn't get kicked. She didn't seem to settle as her eyes darted around, landing on the corner of the paddock. I grabbed her halter before she could go anywhere and we made our way towards the barn. The wind was getting cold and I didn't want her to be out in the dropping temperature. 

She walked next to me jumping and speeding up at every slight bang. What had she seen out there? If only I'd marked her, we would be able to speak to each other then. I placed her in the stall and locked the door before grabbing some apples and placing them roughly in her food bowl.

"We will speak about this tomorrow." I said, "Also what should I call you in horse form, one stamp for Hali, two for Lyra."

I looked at her feet as she brought her left hoof up and hit it twice on the ground.

"Okay well Lyra we will talk tomorrow."

Hali's POV 

I trotted around the paddock and looked for this other shifter. He appeared in the corner and I stared deeply at him hoping Chase would spot him. He turned his head to the corner I was looking at but didn't seem to be able to see him. The horse was a very clean white that shone in the moon and shimmered like a star with eyes that were an ocean blue. Surely he should be able to see him, he is as clear as day.

I jumped slightly as Chase grabbed my halter and we walked towards the barn. A crash by the pack house made me jump and I trotted ahead of Chase who sped up until I calmed down. After getting me safely into the barn and giving me a few apples he turned to me,

"We will speak about this tomorrow, also what should I call you in horse form, one stamp for Hali two for Lyra."

I brought my left hoof up and stamped twice. My horse was called Lyra so why shouldn't I be called Lyra in horse form.

"Okay well Lyra, we will talk tomorrow."

He left the barn and I brought my head down to eat an apple. When I looked up I reared causing the other horses in the barn to snort in frustration. The other shifter was standing in front of my stall.

"What are you?" I snorted, my feet bouncing up and down.

"Hali, I am a spirit."

"So why am I the only one who can see you."

"Everyone has their own spirits, most don't see then until the day they die but when a spirit's person is in danger they will show themselves to the person."

"So, why can I see you?" I asked as I calmed down.

"There is going to be another war, when it is revealed what you are, many of the pack will help you and Chase but some of the others will not, they will be your enemies in the coming war."

"What war?" I nearly yelled getting frustrated.

"The war that if you win will allow the horse shifters to come back."

"And if we lose?"

"Well you will be the final horse shifter and your race will be extinct."

"So Chase has a spirit?" I asked.

"Yes child, everyone had spirits."

"Has he seen his?"

"No."

"Will he ever see his?"

"It's up to the spirit." The spirit said before trotting out of the barn.

"What's you name?" I called after him.

"Pluto." He answered as his white coat disappeared into the darkness.

I was left alone with my silent thoughts as I finished the apples. When I was satisfied I laid down on the sawdust. Placed my head on the floor and slept.

........

I woke up startled with Ash looming over me. I got up quickly not wanting to stand on his feet. I looked him up and down, he was holding a saddle, a saddle pad and there was a bridle hanging on the stall door. 

"So, just so none of the pack gets suspicious, me and Adler have been given the job to break you." He said with a weak smug smile.

"Break us, has he met us." Lyra said before quickly taking control and grabbing the saddle pad out of his arms and trampling it.

When I regained control I picked up the dead saddle pad and gave it back to Ash. Ash looked down at the shredded saddle pad and sighed.

"Fine, I'll go get another." He whispered before turning his head and yelling, "Adler get this grumpy mare groomed and ready for the tack."

Ash left my stall and Adler appeared quickly, grabbing my halter and clipping on a lead rope. He led me to the cross ties and started brushing out my tail, which had grown matted over the last couple of days. When he was satisfied he started on my body, working all the dirt out of my coat.

..........

I side stepped as Ash brought the saddle up and tried to place it on my back. He sighed and tried again. I allowed him to get it on and, while he bent down to tighten the saddle, I bucked. I watched as the saddle, closely followed by the pad, flung through the air.

Ash stomped over to grab it and, while I was distracted, Adler walked up to me. He changed my halter to the bridle, placing the cold bit in my mouth. I sucked on it to get my mouth used to the sensation as Adler held onto the reins. 

Ash walked around me and stroked down me before he placed the saddle pad and saddle on me before quickly tightening it up. When he thought it was safe and secure he walked out of the barn with Adler and me following close behind.

After literally being dragged to the ring, I was led around a couple of times to get used to the saddle. When they thought it was safe Ash undid the stirrups before placing his foot in and hauling himself onto me. I allowed him to get into a false sense of security before bucking him off hearing him scream as he flew through the air. I smiled.

Let. The. Games. Begin.

Author's note

Two in one today, your welcome. So what you think. Don't have anything to say except. Don't forget to,
Vote
Comment
And
Follow