Chapter Twenty-Six

Chase patted my rump as Scarlet guided me through the small crowds of people and towards the small ring where a few people and horses stood around gathering before the warm-up session. Scarlet pulled on my reins and I stopped. Chase began to fiddle with the stirrups and I realised they were too long for Scarlet and they needed to be shortened.

We entered the ring and Chase hopped onto the fence watching as Scarlet and I began to trot around the outside of the ring. My knees cracked slightly but it soon stopped as we began to change gates (the speed of walking etc). I allowed the girl to control me as my ears twitched at all the new sounds. The left one turned as I watched Alpha Victor walk up to Chase and begin to talk. I enhanced my hearing and listened to their conversation.

"Alpha Chase," He said with a little bit more respect then he did last time. I was happy about that, an older alpha being respectful to a younger alpha is considered very noble. 

He carried on, "I had a little visit from someone who I believed was called Hali,"

Chase gave me a hard glare and nodded for him to carry on, not taking his eyes off me as we cantered around the ring, Scarlet bouncing lightly on my back.

"I think we need to speak, in private."

I snorted with annoyance I wouldn't be able to hear what they were talking about but hopefully, Chase would tell me. I watched Chase walk off before turning my attention back to Scarlet's movements.

Chase's POV

I followed Alpha Victor around to the back of the tents and waited for him to speak. I didn't want to leave Lyra or Hali and Scarlet alone for too long.

"So what do you want?" I asked I did not want to seem rude as he had been respectful to me.

"The girl, Hali, she said something about your packs vampires not feeding on the humans,"

"Yes, we've gone animal-based but what's the issue with that?"

"Oh, nothing I was hoping to do the same, any pointers? And what happened after you changed the pack's way of eating?"

"Well, a few members left and came back, attacked my mate so we ended up having to kill them and I can give you pointers, get in touch with my pack and we can sort out a meeting because I'm kinda busy at the moment hope that's alright?"

"Sure, that's fine, hope the competition goes well."

I walked off after shaking his hand, I was wearing a confused expression on my face. He was nice. A little to nice for my liking but, it was a good chance.

Hali's POV

Scarlet had her number securely on her back and was riding next to a boy. He was riding a young brown stallion who was looking bored and looked like he wanted to buck the boy off. The boy had short brownie blond hair and kind brown eyes. He was wearing posh riding clothing that didn't look entirely comfy.

"Nice horse," he said admiring my wrong body and lanky legs.

"Thanks, she's my brothers best jumper on the ranch, clearer the near 6ft perimeter fence,"

"How old is she?" He asked I was rather young in horse form.

"About 4 or 5," Scarlet answered. Horse and wolves aged slower than the human side so I was rather young to be broken and ridden in competitions but I allowed it.

"But young, but I know your ranch has the best trainers, who's the breeder? She looks to be too nice of breed to be wild."

"Wild as the wind she was," Scarlet said letting my back, "Still is really, she will tell you if she doesn't want to be ridden,"