CHAPTER 1

"Promise you will send me an owl every week, yes?" Amelie, my best friend, finally spoke as she combed her platinum locks with her fingers, her back turned to me. I could hear the cracks in her voice but she refused to admit that she was crying.

"I'll never forget to write Aimee, if I did you would kill me." I replied, tears already slipping from my eyes. She chuckled at me before finally turning to face me. Her eyes were red and her cheeks, flushed but the smile set on her lips told me that everything was going to be fine.

"You know me too well Alice" She replied before enveloping me into a tight hug.

After a few moments, when I was released from the bone crushing grasp, I picked up my small suitcase from the ground and turned around to see my mother standing before me, her face cold as ice and black cape billowing in the wind. I approached her and she grabbed my arm, ready to disapparate. I gave Amelie one last look before leaving the grounds of Beauxbatons forever.

.

"Your uncle and I will help you buy whatever you need for school" My mother said as we apparated at the Leaky Cauldron.

"Uncle as in-"

"Yes, and if I hear you complain once more, I will see to it that Professor Snape gives you extra homework. He and I go way back" My mother replied, not looking at me as we walked through Diagon Alley.

I shut up my mouth immediately, not wanting to irk her further, instead choosing to marvel at the fascinating views around me. Soon, we reached the entrance to Flourish and Blotts. My mother turned to me and lowered her voice to a dangerous tone, enough to scare a hippogriff away.

"Now listen here Alice, you be nice to your uncle and cousin, they have politely agreed to take you to the Quidditch World Cup, the-"

I stopped listening as soon as I heard the words 'Quidditch World Cup'. Quidditch was my favourite thing to do, ever since I was little, I would steal my father's broom and try to play Quidditch even though I had no one to play with. My parents were very..anti-social (to put it nicely) which is why no one bothered to talk to me. I was even on the Quidditch team in Beauxbatons.

"Are you listening to a word I'm saying young lady?" My mother whisper-yelled.

"Yes mum, of course" My mother flinched when I said mum although it didn't bother me. I was used to being treated like this. My father at least pretended to care about me.

We stepped into Flourish and Blotts and were immediately greeted by shelves and shelves of books of all kinds. I unrolled the parchment with the book list written on it and surfed the aisles for the books. I stood on my tippy-toes to reach the Standard Book of Spells Grade 4 which was resting on a high shelf, stretching my hand to pull it out but before I could, somebody else snatched it off the shelf.

"Got it first."

I turned around to meet with my pale, lanky cousin.

"Hello Draco." He sported a scowl on his face which immediately twisted into a cold, evil smile.

"You're still slow Alice."

"And you're still a dick." I replied.

"Language, dear" Another voice greeted me.

I looked up to see the man to whom the voice belonged and immediately shivered, something about him made me want to jump into a well.

"Sorry Uncle Lucius."

And here's another thing I may not have mentioned. My mother was Lucius Malfoy's sister. She was adopted by the Malfoy family when her own family abandoned her and left her in a wizarding orphanage. Thankfully, we weren't related by blood to the Malfoys, but everyone still treated us as if we were.

"I am absolutely delighted that you are finally joining Hogwarts, the Slytherins will be very glad to meet you." Lucius spoke. I sensed a tone of disinterest in his voice.

"That is if the she is sorted into Slytherin of course, I don't think she has it in her to be amongst the best house in the school." Draco sneered.

"Now now Draco, don't be rude."

Turning to me, Lucius smiled his cold smile. What is it with Malfoys and cold, hard emotions? "I would like to invite you to join us for The Quidditch World Cup. We have excellent seats."

I had to be nice to Uncle Lucius, I really was grateful that he was willing to take me to the match.

"I would love to join you" I replied with a forced smile.

"Well it's settled! Alice, you will be staying with your uncle before Hogwarts reopens for the first term." My mother said, a smile finally reaching her face while Draco's put on his signature scowl. Horror settled inside of me as I heard her speak those words.

"What? Why can't I come home with you?"

"Yea, why does she have to come with us?" Draco groaned.

"Alice, your father and I are far too busy to take care of you and Lucius and Narcissa have kindly offered to take you under their wing for a week. Please do not make this hard." My mother tried to make me understand but I knew that she didn't give a damn about me. She would make any excuse to get rid of me. I did not want to argue with a woman who practically ignored my existence.

"Alright." I replied hesitantly

"Great" Draco rolled his eyes before walking away, Lucius following him to pay at the counter. I turned around to follow Lucius, without bothering to say goodbye to my mother.

"Alice, wait."

"What is it mum?" She walked up to me and hesitantly placed a hand on my shoulder.

"When the Sorting Hat is placed on your head, ask it to sort you into Slytherin."

I did not care which house I was sorted in to but if it meant that much to my mother, I would try to heed her advice if it meant that there could be at least a moment of understanding between us. "Yes mum."

"H-Have fun." She replied before disapparating, leaving me alone with a heap of books in my arms. "Come on Alice, we must return to the Manor after visiting Madam Maulkins, Narcissa is expecting us." Lucius spoke from behind me.

I let myself glance at the spot where my mother stood only seconds ago before following Lucius and Draco out of Flourish and Blotts.

.

Malfoy Manor was one of the most unpleasant buildings I had ever seen before. It looked as if it was permanently surrounded by heavy grey clouds which casted massive shadows on its towering, dull walls. Even the trees appeared to have a thin film of grey cast around it. On the inside, it was grand just as any other extravagant castle but the darkness was unsettling.

"How lovely to have you home Alice!" Narcissa walked up to me and embraced me in a hug. I always liked Aunt Narcissa, she was more motherly to me me than her sister-in-law.

"Follow me, I'll show you to your bedroom."

I followed Narcissa down the winding halls of Malfoy Manor before arriving at the entrance to a huge room, no less lavish than the living room.

"Anything you need, call our house-elf, Zolbey."

"Thank you Narcissa." I smiled before setting my luggage on to the floor and proceeding to lie down on the queen-sized bed, exhausted after the long day. I closed my eyes as visions of the bright Beauxbatons hallways and beautiful lanterns adorning its enchanted ceiling sifted through my mind, lulling me to a dreamless sleep.