CHAPTER 21

I spent a whole week in solitude, surviving on bags of crisps, baked beans and water. Not a very wholesome meal. I didn't do much except read and take evening strolls in the village.

Our house was in a lovely little wizarding village named 'Atlantes' after a sorcerer from France. Here, people lived in small cottages, ate in warm, cosy pubs and shopped at local Wizard-wear stores. Just like Hogsmeade.

Each day I thought of Cedric but I willed myself not to cry. I was getting quite good at suppressing my emotions. I missed him but I tried convincing myself that he was in a better place. Who knows? Maybe they play Quidditch in heaven.

One Saturday evening, I was sitting in Madame Evanora's, a cheap pub just across my cottage. I ordered the least expensive item in the menu before picking up my book to read it: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

I always thought of Hermione when I held the book in my hands. I missed her, Harry and Ron. I missed the twins. I missed Fred.

I thought back to when I had yelled all those horrible things at Fred in the Great Hall. I wanted to apologise to him but I wouldn't see him for the next one and a half months.

A young waitress arrived at my table and placed a plate of omelette in front of me. Just as she put the plate down, an owl landed on it, falling flat on it's front.

"What the actual fuck?" I cried.

"Owls are not permitted in the pub Ms. Malvolio!" said the waitress.

I looked at the tiny owl, it looked as if it had fought a storm on the way to the pub. It tried to pick itself off from the ruined omelette and stuck out a leg.

The waitress looked at me impatiently.

"Are you going to get rid of that owl?" She pointed at it in disgust.

"Yes give me a minute" I said before unfolding the letter.

Dear Clumsy,

My heart leapt as I saw his messy scrawl on the paper, this was definitely from Fred.

Since you disappeared, George and I bombarded Malfoy with owls trying to get him to tell us where you were. He gave in after the 73rd one. Speaking of owls, sorry if Errol (our owl) is a bit clumsy, she's a lot like you actually. Maybe your next nickname could be Errol the owl.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you that you are going to be spending the summer with us. Notice how that wasn't a question? Because you have no choice. Our mum will be glad to have you here and so will we. Besides, Hermione and Harry are here too, it's a long story. We'll tell you when you get here.

Our dad is going to pick you up in his car on Sunday, be ready. I'm not going to let you spend the summer all alone.

He had written a few more sentences which he had scratched off.

I miss you Al,

Fred.

PS: Hey it's George, now that Fred's FINALLY done writing (he spent three days on this) I wanted to ask you if they sell trick quills in your village. I'm asking for a friend. Get me one please!

I hadn't felt this happy in ages. I was ecstatic that Fred had written to me, his letter made me laugh, something I hadn't done in a long time.

I was glad that they wanted me to spend the summer with them. Frankly, the thought of being alone for two more months really made me want to stab myself with a knife.

"Miss if you don't take this owl out right this instant I'm going to have to do something about it myself" The waitress said angrily.

"Alright alright!"