CHAPTER 20

I got off from my bed where I had sat staring at the wall for 30 minutes straight and walked down to the common room where not a single soul was in sight. I tried not to think about the times I would see Cedric seated on his favourite armchair, his head bent over whatever that occupied him at that moment.

I quickly exited the common room, not wanting to spend much time there.

When I entered the Great Hall, it was gloomier and more silent than usual. I glanced at the Hufflepuff table, at their sad, pale faces. I couldn't bring myself to sit there. Memories of Cedric came rushing to my mind.

Cedric telling me he was glad that I was sorted into Hufflepuff.

Cedric telling me about his schoolwork and the problems he faced and how he always found a way to solve them.

Cedric telling me a joke he had heard from someone at The Three Broomsticks. It was a terrible joke.

All of this had happened at that table right there.

"Al, come sit with us" I looked to see Fred and George standing in front of me, their brown eyes filled with sadness. I hated to see the twins sad, it didn't suit them.

I nodded, relieved to be able to get away from the Hufflepuff table for the time being.

I seated myself, Fred and George on either side of me. Hermione, Ron and Harry sitting opposite me. We didn't even have the heart to smile at each other. I even saw Draco sitting on the Slytherin table, our eyes met and he gave me a small nod.

I watched as Dumbledore walked up to the podium, looking at all the students who sat facing him.

"The end, of another school year" He started,

"There is much that I want to say to you all tonight but first, I must acknowledge the death of Cedric Diggory. Please stand and raise your glasses"

I stood up robotically along with everyone else, goblet in hand and mumbled a small 'Cedric Diggory' before sitting back down.

"Cedric Diggory was as you all know, exceptionally hard working, intricately fair minded. And most importantly a fierce friend"

Fred held my hand with his, giving it a squeeze. I felt a little better, receiving reassurance from him. I gave Fred a small smile which he returned.

"I think you all have the right to know how he died" Dumbledore spoke.

This is the moment everyone had been waiting for, everyone straightened in their seats

"Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort"

I felt myself freeze. What?

He couldn't be back. I remembered the Moody imposter talking about the dark lord but I was too dizzy to focus at the time.

I looked nervously at Fred, I didn't want to start panicking. All of a sudden everything started to make sense.

My mother and my father knew that he would return, they knew that he wouldn't have forgotten about me. That is why they left me, changed my last name.

I realised what trouble my father had been in with Voldemort. He had left him, betrayed him, just like one of my distant family members had. Regulus Black. Everyone knew what happened to Regulus Black at the hands of Voldemort.

But Voldemort knew that I was more important to my parents than their own lives were to them, which is why he wanted to torture me.

I was beginning to panic.

"Fred my parents-,"

"Shh, it's going to be fine. I know what you're saying, it makes sense now" He whispered to me.

"Alice are you alright?" George asked looking at me.

I didn't know what to tell George. I wasn't alright. I was far from alright.

George began to look worried.

I couldn't start panicking. I tried to distract myself by looking at Fred who was still holding my hand.

"You may now leave, The Hogwarts Express will be arriving in a few moments" Dumbledore said before descending from the podium.

We got up from our seats.

"Al, please don't panic" Fred said.

"How can I not?" I yelled. I was beginning to lose control of myself.

"Tell me Fred? You parents aren't on the run from Voldemort, your best friend hasn't just died, you have a fucking family. What do I have?" The tears were streaming down my face. Fortunately, not many people had heard me. Hermione, Harry, Ginny, Fred, George and Ron were the only ones who had.

Harry looked at me as if seeing me in a new light completely. I realised that we were facing almost the same problems.

Fred didn't know what to say to me, he was at loss for words. I didn't blame him, I didn't usually lash out like this.

"I have to go"

I turned around and walked to the entrance and saw the carts that were to take us to the station, deciding to sit on an empty one.

In some time I was joined by Draco and some of his Slytherin mates.

Draco looked at me but I didn't make eye contact with him.

"Are you going to be staying at Malfoy Manor with us?" He asked.

I didn't want to stay at Malfoy Manor. I couldn't.

"No"

"Where are you going then?"

I thought for a few moments. Then it struck me.

"Home"

.

I pushed open the creaky door with my hand and walked into the dark, deserted cottage that had been my home for only two months. The ride back from Hogwarts had been silent, Draco had let me sit with him.

This house used to be warm, welcoming but now it was adorned with cobwebs in every corner. The floorboards creaked as I walked on them and ever surface had a thick layer of dust on it.

Narcissa has kindly dropped me to my home, not pushing me to stay at Malfoy Manor.

Our house had only two rooms, one for my mother and one for me. I entered my room to see that it was exactly how I had left it.

It was almost empty because I had lived in it for only two months, July and August, 1994. I sat on the small bed, leaving my luggage by a cabinet and lied down, looking at the grey ceiling.

I thought back to Cedric's funeral, the sun shining on everyone's faces as they seated themselves on the benches. The funeral wasn't gloomy, it was the kind of funeral Cedric would want.

I felt alone, I felt as if I had no one to turn to.

Amelie was back at Beauxbatons, My parents were on the run from Voldemort, Cedric was..was gone.

I only had my Gryffindor friends, but they were so far away now. I had Draco who practically hated me..or pretended to hate me, I couldn't tell the difference.

Narcissa, the only motherly figure in my life was also the wife of a death eater, she too was on the dark side and that was something I wanted nothing to do with. I wanted to be far away from those monsters.

My eyes began to droop and I didn't try to stay awake. I fell into a deep, dreamless sleep.