CHAPTER 42

Fred's POV:
I stared at the piece of parchment in my hands. I couldn't believe that she had actually written to me. When I met her at here at my shop, I really thought that she had come to reconcile after reading the letter I had sent to her. Instead, she looked like she had wanted nothing to do with me and since then we hadn't talked. But now, she had written to me.

Perhaps she had changed her mind?

I sat on the bottom of the stairs that led up to our flat and ripped the letter open.

Dear Fred,

I finally read the letters you had sent me during the summer, they had gotten lost somewhere. I really am happy for you Fred, and for George. You've really done it and I'm proud of you.

I'm doing fine Fred, I spent the summer in my cottage in the village with my mother. We had a lovely time. I wish I could have seen your shop earlier, but I've seen it now and it's incredible.

Fred, maybe leaving me without saying goodbye was the right thing to do, maybe it makes it easier for me to say what it is that I have to say:

You mentioned in your letter that things between us weren't over yet. I'm writing to tell you that they are. I miss you too Fred, the last two years with you have been magical but we have to grow up. We can't get back together. I hope you find someone else who makes you happier, with who things are easier.

I wish you and George all the best.

Alice.

I blinked away the tears that were beginning to form in the corner of my eyes. Did Alice really feel that way? I couldn't believe that after spending those two years with me, she just wanted to end it out of nowhere. I had poured my heart out to her in my letter and I really thought that after reading it, we would come back to each other. I scrunched the letter in my fist, lowering my head to my knees.

She didn't want anything to do with me. And here I was, head over heels for a girl who couldn't care less.

"Fred are you coming up?" George yelled from upstairs.

"I'll be there soon" I managed to reply.

I scrunched the letter even tighter, hoping it would disappear in my palm, hoping the words she had written would change.

This sounded nothing like Alice, something was definitely wrong.

She had lied in her letter when she said that she was spending the summer with her mum in her village. I know she wasn't because I had gone there to look for her over the summer to apologise to her.

Where was she the entire summer?

And why was she lying? What was she trying to hide?

Something wasn't right and I was going to find out what it was, regardless of wether Alice still cared about me or not.

Because I cared about her.

.

Alice's POV:

It was the 12th of October, the day Draco had decided on to hand the necklace to Dumbledore. I went down to The Great Hall for breakfast, feeling quite dull.

I had made the decision for myself. I had sent Fred the letter, telling him that we couldn't be together. I had to make it sound like I wasn't interested, that way, he wouldn't come looking for me. The truth was, I still wanted to be with him. But some things just don't go the way you want them to. It pained me to even write those words on the parchment, but it was the only way.