Chapter 22 - Late Practice

The week had flown by, and now Kimiko stood facing the soon-to-be teammates for the Japan U-19 team

The week had flown by, and now Kimiko stood facing the soon-to-be teammates for the Japan U-19 team. Some of the best players in Japan all gathering in a gym in Tokyo was a sight to behold, at least, one would think so. 

"YOU LITTLE BRAT, YOU NEVER TOLD ME YOU WERE GOING TO JAPAN! IF I KNEW THAT I WOULD NEVER HAVE CAME HERE", Komori screamed, violently shaking Kimiko while she clutched onto her shirt.

"Hehe, surprise? Did ya miss me?", Kimiko grinned cheekily at the setter who only huffed in response.

"HEH, Why would I miss my stupid Kouhai", Komori hissed before Kimiko pulled the setter into a hug.

"Well, I missed you senpai", she stated gleefully, making the tsundere setter blush. Normally, Kimiko would be just as brutal in her retorts but she decided to play nice since she really did miss her setter a lot.

With that, Komori fell silent which gave Kimiko the chance to look around at the other players that were present. Most of them towered over her and looked pretty strong, which she expected since she was rather short for a volleyball player. They were nothing like her previous team. Their gazes held no sign of remorse or envy, just curiosity as they walked over to Kimiko to greet the newcomer.

"Hi there, we've all introduced ourselves. You must be Kimiko Udai and Komori Suzuki then. I'm Hana Sato, spiker and outside hitter."

"Elina Takahashi, defense specialist and opposite hitter."

"Aoi Ito, I'm the libero."

"Koharu Abe, middle blocker."

"Ren Amano, middle blocker."

"Suzu Imani, setter."

Kimiko gave them all a smile and introduced herself, Komori following suit. According to Kimiko's quick once-over, Hana seemed to be the one most suitable for the captain position. She wasn't sure how good Hana was in terms of skill, but her extroverted, friendly personality and motivating energy was exactly what someone needed to be a great captain. While Kimiko herself had potential as a captain, she wasn't stable enough to fill that role, especially since she was still working through her past trauma.

It was the first time she was playing with a team full of girls after the incident. Surprisingly, it wasn't nearly as bad as she thought she would be. It was just like playing with a boys team, the only difference being the sisterly feel that each one of the players emitted. Kimiko kinda liked it.

"Alright girls, let's get the show rolling", the coach hollered, picking up his clip board.

...