Chapter 24 - Ueno Sakura Festival

Kimiko Udai sighed in frustration as she fidgeted with her hair

Kimiko Udai sighed in frustration as she fidgeted with her hair. She had made plans with Kiyoko and Yachi to meet up before heading to the Ueno Sakura Festival and it was almost time for them to arrive at her place.

Kimiko had already gotten dressed in her Kimono with much effort and was finished with her makeup. Yet, she couldn't couldn't get the last hairpiece to stay in her hair no matter how much she tried.

"Ding ~~"

With the hair adornment ornament still in her hand, she walked towards the door, figuring the two girls had arrived early. However, much to her surprise, she was met with a slightly taller black-haired male whose dark brown orbs stared down on her.

"Tenma-nee!" She exclaimed happily, tackling the boy into a suffocating bear-hug. The last time she had seen him was right before he left to go to Uni and boy did she miss him. "Wait, what are you doing here?", she puzzledly asked staring up at her brother in confusion. "And you've gotten taller too", she noted with a pout.

Tenma chuckled, pinching her cheeks lovingly. "I'm have a 3-day break for the festival remember? Plus I miss my baby sis."

He did a once-over of her house as Kimiko invited him in, taking note of how much messier it was than her room when she was staying in America. From his guess, it was probably due to her fear of her step-father that kept her room in check. He wished he could've done something to stop his mother from taking Kimiko away from him and dad.

His eyes dropped down to her hand that still clasped the hair ornament and he smirked. "You're still horrible with hair accessories", he cackled while Kimiko sharply glared at her dumb brother. "For your information, I got the one in all by myself", she humped, pointing towards a dangling hair clip in her hair.

Tenma only shook his head in amusement. Grabbing the hair piece from her hand, he gestured for her to turn around so he could fix it in place. Twirling her hair lazily, he stuck it in with a satisfied nod. He untangled a few strands, combing her soft tresses between his fingers while he noted how much nicer it felt than the haystack of hair he had to deal with when she was much younger. Kami, braiding that pile of chaos was a nightmare in itself.

"Oh right, are you attending the festival too? I have a friend who would be more than ecstatic to see you in person. In fact, he's probably your biggest fan", she remarked playfully, recalling all the times her favorite tangerine would talk animatedly about her brother.

"No, I want to sleep", he said monotonously, plopping himself on the couch and closing his eyes.

"Noo, stop being a lazy bum. You sound like a old grandpa."