Chapter 30 - Shiratorizawa

Japan's U-19 girls team huddled around the bleachers, panting heavily as they tried to catch their breath after an intense first set with the Shiratorizawa Boy's volleyball team

Japan's U-19 girls team huddled around the bleachers, panting heavily as they tried to catch their breath after an intense first set with the Shiratorizawa Boy's volleyball team. Their coach had scheduled numerous practice matches with high school powerhouse teams regardless of gender to get them prepped up for championships.

"Where is Kimiko?" Hana (WS) asked the group, looking for their ace and captain. It wasn't surprising to anyone that the girl ended up with the position despite her denials.

While it was true she wasn't as bubbly as some of the other girls in the group, she had an authoritative vibe that made them shut up and listen when needed. The girls had learned to respect whatever she had to say since observation and analyzation was one of her strongest fortitudes.

Not just that, but she was also one of their strongest players and not having her there hurt. The girls were already lagging behind, loosing the first set by a few points.

"I heard coach talking about how she needed to get a medical confirmation from her doctor before she could join the match today", Komori (S) grumbled, chugging down her water.

The setter wouldn't admit it, but not having her go-to ace to set to was oddly irritating. After getting use to playing with the girl again, it was weird to adjust her tosses to make it easier for the substitue who wasn't as athletically advanced as Kimiko.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the court, the boys were also conversing about the girls team...

"They're defense is tough, as expected for a national team. But they're not doing much to score points", Ushijima stated in his usual monotone tone.

"Aren't they missing their captain?"

"One player won't make a difference for Ushijima-san because he's the ace", Goshiki boasted while Semi frowned.

"We should still be careful though."

The whistle blew to signal the end of their water break and the boys got off the bleachers to make their way back to the court. Only this time, they saw a young girl sporting a number 1 jersey jogging towards the girl's team. Ushijima caught sight of her face and froze, a his stoic expression faltering as he looked closer, making sure it was really who he thought it was.

'The captain is...Kimiko-san?' His olive eyes fixated on her small figure and a tiny smile formed onto his face, which did not go unnoticed by his teammates.

"Wakatoshi has a girlfriend?" Tendou teased, swirling around the captain who gave him a questioning stare. "No", he deadpanned, his tone as unwavering as ever. 'Not yet anyways.'