Chapter 39 - Boba Tea

"I don't understand why we're getting Boba Tea at 7 in the morning", Akaashi deadpanned, watching a questionably sleep deprivated Kimiko almost skipping her way to the nearby Boba shop in Tokyo.

"Don't be such a downpour Keiji, I always get Boba tea before any big matches. Plus, our bus is leaving at 9 so I need to get the tea and get back before then too", she explained happily, too high on pre-game adrenaline to care about his pessimistic words.

At her happiness, Akaashi cracked a smile. Contrary to his words, he didn't mind waking up at 6 to accompany her for Boba though it definitely wasn't a normal thing either. Her tendencies could be sporadic at times, but dealing with Bokuto made him immune to the occasional mood swings.

Speaking of Bokuto, Akaashi was reminded of the fact that National's was coming up for him as well.

"When are you getting back from championships?" He asked after the thought occurred to him that Kimiko may not get back in time to watch.

"The Asian championships only last a few days so I should be back from those in a few days, and World championships aren't till a few weeks after", she responded, glancing back to see the unchanged, expectant expression on his face.

Luckily Kimiko was just as good at reading people as Akaashi was, otherwise no one else would be able to pick up on his subtle cues.

"I should get back in time for most of nationals except the first few hours."

Her answer washed away the setter's initial disappointment. He knew she would be cheering for Karasuno and not Fukurodani, but he liked knowing that her presence was there in the crowd of fans.

"That's good. Bokuto will be happier if you're watching."

Kimiko raised an eyebrow at his response, taken aback by the fact he mentioned only Bokuto. Did he really not care at all if she made it? Deciding to voice her thoughts she asked, "And you?"

"I'll be very happy", Akaashi smiled softly, sliding off her hood to gently ruffle her hair.

At this point, Kimiko had already learned that no matter what she did, her hair would always get messed up whenever she was around volleyball boys. Apparently to them, it was free real estate.

It was futile to even complain anymore so she simply sighed, letting the rustled strands stick out as she turned around to walk into their designated store.

The doorbell chimed, announcing their arrival and causing a worker to look up. It was still quite early on a weekend so there weren't very many customers aside from a select few who needed to get up early for work.

"Hello! I would like one Almond milk tea please", Kimiko requested, greeting the worker with her usual smile.

"The same for me", Akaashi noted.

A long silence hung in the air.

"Miss, are you ok?" Kimiko questioned with concern for the worker who was seemingly gawking at the two students. With her words, the girl snapped out and hurriedly apologized, inputting their order.

The pair assured her that she was fine, and soon their drinks were out.

"T-thank you! Come again soon!" The employee half-shouted, her voice shaky as she turned to her coworkers excitedly.