I Tried To Scream

"And to the Goddesses and Gods, I pray, Ajen," 

I blow out the tiny lavender candle and watch the thick black smoke travel up to the temple roof. The soft sounds of the gentle island winds ringing the small bells gave me a sense of hope that my prayer might have been heard. All I asked for is strength for this final school year, something that as an Omega, has never been my strong suit.

I stand from my crouched position and roll out my sleeping mat beside the pillar of the open Lotus temple. Laying down my head on my arm, I make a mental note to remember to bring the candle with me when I leave for school tomorrow before closing my eyes. I'm not the most religious like the rest of the pack but I continue to say my prayers as more of a meditation. 

The Island of Kailea's hot summer night already has me sweating and restless and I splay my body out flat on my back.

 Taking in a deep breath and letting out a long sigh, I listen to the soft croaks of the frogs in the pond surrounding this small place of peace which is the only home I've ever known. The crickets chirping alongside them as if to sing me the sweetest lullaby. 

Maybe it's okay if I don't sleep considering this would be my last pocket of silence before the last year of school begins and I'm back to being pushed around and brought down. This year is different from all the others, not only because it's the last but because directly after graduation, our mating ceremony begins. 

While every dreams for the day and looks forward to it with an excitement unmatched by any other, thinking about it floods my chest with an aching fear. For the rest of my class, meeting their confirmed goddess-given mate is the beautiful moment they find someone who will cherish them for the rest of their life. 

As an Omega, I'm easy to control and weaker than everyone else in my house so I will probably end up as my mate's slave.

I've prayed so hard to be marked as an unmated one, maybe I'll become a teacher instead and keep to myself. I've been alone since the day I was born so anyone else entering my life would be an unwelcome intrusion anyway. 

My thoughts had me almost drifting off to sleep until the sudden silence overwhelmed me, the crickets stopped chirping and the frogs had left as if to warn me and my body tenses. The hair on the back of my neck standing up as I open my eyes to face my fears. 

"Tora," 

My name is whispered by the familiar voice of the next Alpha in line for my pack, the House of Lotus. I smile at Alpha Mateo's calming voice before I'm yanked from my sleeping mat.