7| Just 1,000 Miles

"I want to move back into my own room" 

"No," 

Casper's the first to veto my decision like he has a choice while Micah showed visible apprehension and Galen narrowed his eyes at his brothers as if they did something to upset me.

"I'm sorry love, did we do something wrong?" Micah asks and I quickly shake my head as I packed my small gym bag. 

"No, I just-" I paused my sudden packing and bit my lip, knowing I should try to explain myself sooner rather than later.

"Well, I'm going to be spending the rest of my life with you three, I just want a little bit more privacy before the time comes is all. Besides, I'm feeling a lot better now and I can walk on my own. I'll be fine," I can tell by the worry on their faces that I wasn't winning this argument but honestly I just want some time to think.

Living with the three of them in the same little dorm room can be so chaotically overwhelming that I often want to retreat elsewhere, but the library isn't open for 24 hours. I'm also pretty sure that needed breaks just a few weeks into the relationship isn't healthy so maybe the small distance between us will calm things down. 

"Come on guys, you can always visit me! You act like I'm going to be 1,000 miles away," I gently remind them as I stuff the last crimson shirt in my bag from Galen's wardrobe and for the first time all three triplets looked identical in their crossed arm stature. 

"What about Mateo?" Casper mentions and I sling my bag over my shoulder while holding my shiny black shoes in my hands. 

"I'm pretty sure he won't touch that door with a ten-foot pole after what you did to him," I shrug and my mates all look at each other before Micah and Casper both rest their eyes on Galen, knowing he was the one to make the final decision. 

Galen breaks his hardened pose as he grabs my blanket from the bunk I've been spending almost all of my nights in. He wraps it around my shoulders in one gentle swoop before leading me out of the room. Coming just across the hall, my hand stops on the doorknob and I turn my head to face my overprotective mate. 

"You will come visit me, right?" I ask Galen and I get a tiny nod in response which makes my heart flutter just slightly. 

His massive hands nearly cover the width of my delicate shoulder blades and when he gives them a small squeeze I know this man could destroy me with one wrong move. But my fear mingled with his silence and sweet protective nature only makes me want him more, shivering at his gentle touch.  

"I look forward to it," I tell him as I turn my key and pull him inside with me. 

I knew the place needed a good dusting the second I opened the window to let some air in and was met with a woosh of brown and gray. I drop my bag and go into my desk drawer to grab the spare key to my room. There's only one and I don't plan on getting copies so it looks like Galen will just have to protect it with his life.