4| Sweet Escape

AN: ^Meet Hugo^

AN: ^Meet Hugo^

"I'm sorry,"

I whispered to my sleepy babysitter Micah as I slipped on my new crimson blazer. It was my final day in this quarantine and I'm already healed but going slightly insane with the constant watch.

Whether it be the obnoxious Casper bothering me with his essence alone without ever saying a word, the shy Galen who now gives me adorable little waves every now and then when he catches me staring for too long, or the bright and talkative Micah, who spends his time with me doodling at the end of my bed in his sketchbook while telling me all about different concepts and ideas he's been able to swallow with his photographic mind.

But today, Micah was so exhausted from his Kailea Modern History class that he passed out as soon as he touched the end of my bed and I watched with amusement. I would have cuddled up beside him if I didn't have other plans.

I take hold of the edge of my blanket and shift it over Micah's long body to keep him warm. Gently taking off his glasses so he doesn't break them if he rolls over and moving his sketchbook to keep the graphite from melting to his face. His tawny hair falls in gentle waves over his sleepy expression and I suck it up to keep myself from crawling into his arms before walking away.

Slipping out of the triplets' room, I'm more aware of my surroundings. After what happened with Matteo, I scan every face in the halls and cross my fingers that my gaze doesn't meet his.

It's peculiar to be able to walk around without one of my protective bodyguards at my side. Is it weird that just three days is all it takes for me to completely forget what my life was like without their chaotic energy?

Thankfully the library isn't too far from the dorms and as soon as I cross the threshold of the ancient wooden doors with the loud creeks in the old rustic floor, I know it's the closest I'll ever get to the feeling of coming home. With its vaulted ceilings going up three stories, old wooden eves planted at its edges with large open windows and dimmed skylight, and thousands of books filling its shelves, I know I'm safe with my first steps inside.

Sitting at the front desk is the famous beloved librarian, Leviathan of Crimson, in his Crimson sensei attire. He's like a loving father to every person who comes into his precious library and helps them by whatever means necessary.

When I was younger, my best friend told me how his father came to be the librarian. In his youth, Levi was trying to be one of the best warriors in Crimson like his brothers and sisters who stand guard over the home of the reigning alpha and lunos. Apparently, it's a sacred duty only given to those who prove themselves but Levi was too bookish for that line of work.

So instead he became the guardian of the ancient Antum library, pondering over a novel with his fingertips and his feet up on the desk as he leaned back in his chair. The cage behind him of sacred novels remains locked and protected from the prying hands of meddling students under his watch.