12| Distant Melody

^Remember when they were this smol? I'm not crying you are ;')

"Should I wear a dress or a suit to the Anu ball?" 

I ask Hugo as he rolls across the ladder hooked to the tall bookshelf. My best friend comes to a stop at his desired destination with the perfection that comes with doing this since the day he was born. 

Hugo ponders the thought with a scratch to his chin and narrows his eyes. The Anu ball was only one of the most important once in a lifetime functions at this school. For the 12th years only, the ball was to give praise to the god of fate, Anu, halfway through the year before our mating ceremony. Legend has it, that you will bump into your mate at least once before the night is over. Although I already know who my mates are and I will certainly be bumping into them, the sacred ritual already stresses me out.  

"I dunno, I can see you in both, but imagine yourself in one of those fancy Lehenga choli ballgowns dancing with Alpha Galen," Hugo teases and the planted thought alone has me blushing slightly. 

 I can already see my gentle shy guy holding my hand and waist in his large hands as we danced across the floor with everyone looking on in jealousy. Taking my breath away with just a swirl and the tightened grip of his hand on my bare waist.

 But what about Casper and Micah? 

How do you take three boys to the biggest ball of the year? 

"You'll have to pick one you know, I can see the confusion but you can't take all three. It makes the most sense to respectfully go with the alpha. I'm sure Micah and Casper will understand that since they are betas to their brother after all," Hugo points out and I let out a long sigh.

"But who will Casper and Micah take if I don't go with them? I'm more worried about who will take Casper than anything else," I groan not wanting to think about the long line of ex suitors watching our every move. Just waiting in the shadows for me to slip up and break his heart so they can snatch him for themselves as if I'm not mated to him for life.  

I'm surprised his little fan club hasn't tried to kill me yet for god's sake. 

"I'm sure they'll figure it out. They're big boys after all and can handle themselves," Hugo tries to treasure me while plucking a book from the shelf as I leaned back on a small beanbag chair. 

"You say that, but you haven't lived with them," I point out and check my watch, blinking twice at the time while feeling like I'm missing something crucial.