1. The Finest, The Meanest, The Baddest

AN: ^Listening to this song is the mood for this entire book

"Mmmng," 

I audibly groan as the low tide licks my wrist and I turn over to find myself still in the exact same spot where I fell down yesterday. 

Or maybe I just washed up here and what happened after I fell was just a wild hallucination. 

Definitely the narrative I'm going to go with at least. 

I force my sore body to sit up with a crunch of my saltwater soiled clothing and hold my chest. My ribs ached in pain with every breath as I catch myself tracing the line on my forehead left by the heat of Beta Casper's fingertips. Slapping my own hand, I force the dream away as I get up and walk back towards the temple. It wasn't the safest place at the moment but I have to at least grab a change of clothes for school. 

The sun hasn't yet peeked from the horizon but it was at least light enough for me to see where I'm going. Thankfully it's not too far and I debate going to the clinic for the pain in my ribs but Wren stops me.

It would be safer if we waited until we got to school first

He warns and I continue to beeline for the temple, feeling safe in the quiet sleepiness that came with the Lotus pack. At least its not a bustling city like Crimson, because then I would be screwed. I let out a small sigh of relief when I see the temple's royal purple arches with light gold embellishments that seem to sparkle with my arrival as I rush inside. 

But I halt at the sight of him standing in my tracks. 

"Oh thank the goddess you made it, baby. I was so worried," 

Alpha Mateo breathes out a sigh of relief and takes a step towards me but when he does I instantly take a step back. 

"I-I'm so sorry, it's just they have such a big influence on Lotus and I couldn't let them see me as weak. I mean I'm the Alpha. Goddess, you must be so cold, you're shivering," Mateo reaches over and grabs my blanket as he goes to wrap it around my shoulders and this time I let him. Pulling me inside the empty temple, he holds me close and rocks me back and forth. 

"It's okay, I understand," I mutter as he kisses the top of my head. 

Except the touch I once enjoyed is now dull, a kiss that put butterflies in my stomach felt like acid on my skin, and a scent I could spend days basking was long gone. 

A man I once thought could be the only person who might be my mate at the end of this year now had no feelings attached. 

"Tora, why do you smell different?" Mateo asks as he slowly pulls away, but gently holds my shoulders as he sniffs down my neck. Something about this just doesn't feel right like it used too. 

"I dunno, what do I smell like?" I ask him and he scrunches up his nose with a slight uneasiness. 

"You smell like one of those rotten Crimsons and you didn't bow to me when you saw me like you usually do," Mateo explains while tousling my salty curls. Bowing is something one naturally does in combination with their wolf to their Alpha.

 The only reason why someone wouldn't naturally bow or feel the need to is when the Alpha isn't yours. 

And if he doesn't like the Crimsons that means the triplets weren't with him last night, which means I was right and it was all just a dream.