Ch. 16 // Well pained.

"hello? Earth to Emma??" I snapped out from my daze as Matthew continuously flick his fingers at me. "you're zoning out. Again." he sighed.

"sorry." I muttered under my breathe.

"don't be." he shook his head. "but please, stop thinking about it. You're here now, I can make sure you're safe."

"I wish I can believe that." I mumbled lowly.

His phone vibrated, ringing on the coffee table in front of the couch we're sitting on. He picked his phone from the table, furrowing his eyebrow as he reads the ID caller name on his phone.

"hello?" he answered the phone call as I look at him curiously.

"what? Who?"

"Jus- wait. What are you doing here?!" he stood up, running his hands through his hair.

"I can't. Leave now." he said in that intimidating voice I rarely heard from him.

He sighed after having a little argument on the phone with I don't know who, sloppily fell back on the couch.

"fine, don't go anywhere. I'll be there, and we're not going anywhere. That's it." his voice cold and stern as he flick his phone off, indicating the phone call has ended. His gaze turns to me as he sighed again, lazily standing up from the couch.

"is everything alright?" I worriedly asked.

"yeah, it's just-" he pauses for a second. "I'm meeting someone for a bit, I'll be back in no time, I promise. Are you okay with that?" he asked.

I nod, giving him a convincing smile.

"I'll be back home soon, I promise. I won't be long!" he said before leaving me alone inside his house.

I hear a faint sound of his car driving away from the house and the sound faded. I decided while waiting to watch something on the television, but nothing was interesting.

I'm alone.

Inside a house.

Of a famous boy who I've known for a month and a half.

The though worries me, it does. Why wouldn't it?

A sound of knocking came from the door causing me to slightly flinch at the sudden sound. Curiously, I walk towards the door, swinging the door open, revealing Cameron in front of the door with his head looking down to his feet.

"C-cameron?" I stuttered.

"hey." he looks up from the ground, smiling up to me.

"I'm sorry. Matt is not here-"

"I'm not looking for Matt," he scoff playfully shaking his head. "I'm looking for you."

I blink at him, inhaling sharply. What is it again? I shuffled to the side, letting him in. This will be a very long day. He sloppily fell sitting on the couch as he invites me to sit next to him. Hesitantly, I took a seat right next to him keeping the distance between us.

"why are you looking for me?" I ask him, tilting my head at him.

"it's nothing. I just felt like spending time with you." he admitted.

It suddenly reminds me that Matt will be home sooner, "you know if Matt is here-"

"him again, why?" he stopped me mid-sentence looking annoyed. Why would he? Matt is his own best friend, right? "what if he's here?" he questioned me.

"he wouldn't like it." I replied, looking down to my fiddled fingers earning a scoff from him. Why is he scoffing at his name?!

"why? Jealous? Well it's not my fault for wanting to be friends with you." he shrugs as if nothing really bothers him but his words hit me like a stone.