20. We are meant to be together. You and me until the very end.

Warning: Major twist ahead.

Chapter 20.

We are meant to be together. You and me until the very end. (You would think this is romantic but it's not)

~~

I continued scratching the back of my neck, staring at the page I had to sign before I could enter.

"You don't have to do this."

I have to, you have no idea how much. I thought to myself. Finally I took a deep breath and sighed. I took the pen and signed my name in the book.

"That way." A disinterested hefty woman tilted her head at the door, not even glancing up as she continued to flip through an adult magazine. Both her legs on the table and her chair leaned back, she clearly didn't care much about this job.

I turned and smiled at Alex. "I am sure. I want to see him."

Ray Parker was going on trial in two days and I wanted to see him before I never had a chance to again. He was a friend at one point and I couldn't carry this guilt around anymore.

Alex nodded, squeezing my hand in support. "Come back soon."

"I will."

The guard opened the gate and pointed to a table at the farthest. I stood there for a second, taking in the disheveled Ray Parker. He was no longer wearing glasses, his beard had grown uneven and in that black and white outfit he looked even lankier. I slowly walked towards him, my steps barely flattering as he glanced up.

His eyes were swollen from crying or getting beat up I wasn't sure. A cloud of pain and sorrow surrounded me but I quickly blew it away. After what he had done, he didn't deserve pity.

"Hi." I whispered as I sat down opposite him.

Ray just looked me, tired and half dead. "What do you want?"

"I am sorry." I gulped.

"For what?"

I pointed at the enclosed barrier surrounding and the large men. "All this. You."

Ray just leaned back on the chair, shrugging but no meeting my eyes. "It's fine."

"I saw Athena and you kissing that day at the fundraiser." I said, I had rehearsed this scene well in my head but his next words shattered the entire conversation.

"I know."

My eyes widened. "What?"

Ray tilted his head to the left, looking at me without a blink. "I saw you that day. That is why I kissed Athena."

The only words out of my mouth were. "Oh."

Ray leaned ahead, coming closer to my face and instinctively I backed away. He didn't seem fazed, he expected it. "You should know by now, Myra. I love you."

I had dreamed a thousand times of guys telling me they loved me, those three special words. I had made up beautiful scenarios - on a hot air balloon, on a romantic date, over a candle light dinner, after a huge fight, even after just having sex. But in the jail from the guy just about to be convicted was not one of them.

So when I heard those three words for the first time from a guy, I did the most logical thing. I shoved my middle finger on his face and said loudly, "Are you shitting me right now?"

A few people glanced our way curiously but I didn't care. I was too disgruntled.

Ray didn't budge, he didn't even blink. He just stared with those glassy eyes. "I am serious. I only kissed Athena so I could make you jealous. I was with her to make you jealous. And that girl in the alley was to make you jealous too."