Chapter 16

**before going into the chapter fair warning that there is some physical and mental abuse. If it triggers anyone I am sorry. As a survivor of sexual, physical, and mental abuse (from a very young age and then again a few years ago) I am here to talk. What happened does not define us. We are not victims. We are survivors.**

Catra's POV

Shit, shit, shit. I am so late. Ugh! I should have paid better attention. Who am I kidding...today is worth any beating Shadow Weaver will give. We quickly put the riding gear on and get on the bike. She can tell I'm nervous. She has a worried look on her face. 

"It's okay Adora." I try my best to fake a smile to help ease her.

"It's my fault. I totally forgot about your home situation." She is avoiding eye contact with me. She must feel like what is going to happen tonight is her fault. "Are you okay if we speed on the road? I know you're late, but I don't know, maybe getting there sooner will be better than later?"

"Yeah. You're right. Go as fast as you want." Her face lit up a little bit as I said that. 

"You're gonna regret saying that." 

Before I had time to say anything more we were off. I swear I almost flew off the back of her bike before we made it to the main road. I tighten my grip around her waist and pull my body as close to hers as humanly possible. I may be freaking out on the inside at the thought of what awaits for me at home and that we are going faster than makes me comfortable, but being this close to Adora somehow makes me feel safe. My body is instantly filled with warmth; my body eases and relaxes into Adora. I trust her, things are going to be okay in the end. 

The trip took half the time it normally would have and she pulls us into the driveway. No lights are on; maybe the stars are aligned for me and Shadow Weaver is already asleep. I quickly take the helmet off my head and start to hand it back to Adora when she pushes the helmet back towards me. "Keep it. It's officially your helmet now." She smiles at me as she says this. My heart flutters a little at the thought of her trusting me to have something of hers. "Do you want me to stay?" She gestures towards the door. 

I let out a sigh. "No, it's okay. I'll be fine." I flash another fake smile. "I promise Princess." I lean in and kiss her forehead. 

"If you say so. I'll pick you up for school?" She still looks worried. 

I nod back. "Let me know when you make it home, kay?" We kiss each other before I head to the front door and I hear Adora ride off into the distance. As I go to reach for the door handle it opens up on its own and I'm met with Shadow Weaver smoking a cigarette. Fuck.

I just stand there. Shadow Weaver brings a hand to my face, hard. I let out a little yelp from the pain. "Just where exactly have you been?! Off tramping around with that girl," The tone of her voice said that it wasn't a question but rather a statement. 

"What's it matter to you?" I hiss back. 

"I am your guardian child. Do not speak to me like that." My face is once again met with her hand. This time though I don't flinch or show any signs of emotion. I've grown used to this over the years of growing up in different foster homes. They're all the same. I just somehow drew the short straw and got stuck here. "You have always been a disappointment, but I thought that this time you might be able to get something right." 

She grabs my wrist and pulls me inside with enough force that you can clearly make out every finger mark. I try to take this opportunity to lock myself in my room, but I was too slow. "You think we are finished here child?" She grabs me from the back of my collar and pulls me back only to be met with her lit cigarette digging to my flesh just below my collarbone. I feel tears swell up in my eyes, but I try my best to not let them go. I hold back the cries of pain in my throat. I won't show her weakness.  I ball my free hand into a fist to distract from the pain of the burn. "Oh look at that. You ruined a perfectly good cigarette. Go and get out of my sight. You make me sick." 

Pft, I ruined a good cigarette? Bitch, you used me as an ash tray! I swear one day Shadow Weaver. I quickly go to my room and lock the door before she has time to come after me again. I lean against the back of it and slide down the door fighting back the tears more. C'mon Catra. You're not weak. Don't show emotion. She isn't worth it

I notice I'm still holding onto the helmet Adora gave me and just the memory of tonight brings a smile on my face. Crap Adora!  I quickly pull my phone out and see a message from her saying she made it home and that she can be over if she needs me. I chuckle a little reading her message and instantly feel relaxed as a warmth feeling spreads throughout my body. I crawl over to my bed and put the helmet on the nightstand. I text her back saying her bodyguard services are not needed tonight. I'll tell her about what happened later. I close my eyes and feel sleep drifting me away from reality. 

A/N hello all! I'm going to try and write another chapter tomorrow because after tomorrow I work 5 12 hour shifts and then am gone for a week on vacation! (I know, I'm insane for taking a vacation in a time like this, but life is too short! Plus I'm a gypsy at heart). I'm going to try and write a little bit more while on my vacation, but cannot make any promises. I love you all! Stay safe and stay happy! Cheers!