Chapter 23

Okay everyone: warnings. This part is written intensely and may trigger some panic/anxiety. If you feel you may be triggered by any means please feel free to skip to the end. I'll add a lil blurb to summarize the chapter so you won't miss anything important.

Adora's POV

"Where. Is. Catra!" I practically yelled the words. Pretty sure the whole cafeteria heard, but I don't care. I only care about Catra. I ball my fists on my knees as tears start to streak my cheeks.

Saying I'm worried would be an understatement. I look at Mara and see her mouth is still open, but no words are coming out. She's crying just as hard as I am which makes me panic even more.

The tears are still streaming my face and I ask Mara again, "W-where is...Catra?" My breathing intensifies and I feel my heart start to throb with pain. I can't look at Mara anymore, it just sends more panic through me so I return to glance at my fists that are now clenched so tight some blood is dripping down and onto my jeans. It doesn't hurt though, I can't feel my hands anymore. I can't feel anything but emptiness.

"Mara!!! What happened!" I hear the muffled voices of the others as they're surround us. "Mara you're really starting to worry us. Is she dead? Mara!" So many voices. They all sound like echos from my mind. Saying the things I'm thinking but don't have the actual strength to say.

My mind is racing. I jump from a thought of Catra being shot to Catra being in a horrible car accident to her being beat by her devil foster mom. Thoughts and images of Catra in a casket come to my mind. More tears fall down my face. I'm full blown sobbing at this point. The pain of the thought of Catra not here with me is too much. It physically hurts.

"She's....alive.....but barely...." I look up at these words.

"W-what's you say?" Tears start to flow heavier and harder. I still have this huge pit in my stomach, but it feels like I can breathe again.

Glimmer kneels down in front of my and cups my head in her hands. "Adora, she's alive." She wipes some tears off my face. "She's alive."

Hearing this again I unclench my fists and immediately grab my stuff and run out the door. I didn't even say bye to my friends. I throw my helmet on and turn Swift Wind on and screech our of the parking lot. My sole focus is getting to the hospital. To Catra. She's alive and needs me.

I get on the interstate and just ride down the middle lane between the cars careful to avoid getting into an accident. I take a quick peak down at the speedometer and see my bike at 110 mph (177 kph). I've never been this fast in my life before, it scares me a little but it's worth it if it means I get to the hospital faster.

I see the exit for the hospital and take it not even stopping at the stop sign. I screech to a stop so fast that my bike tire actually loses traction and the bike almost goes down. Thankfully I regained control just in time and parked the bike. I run into the building and take my helmet off right as I get to the front counter. "Catra.....I'm....here to see....Catra" I gasp for breath; between the adrenaline, worry, panic, and every other mixed emotion I was losing my breath.

"You're relation to the patient?"

"She's my girlfriend. Please. I have to see her. She doesn't have much for family. Please." I'm begging the triage nurse.

She grabs the phone and asks the person on the other end if I can come back. The feeling of panic sets back in and I'm tapping my fingers on the counter in eagerness.

"Come with me."

"Thank you so much!" I rush to the nurses side. "Is she okay? Can you tell me what happened?"

"She's fine ma'am. She's in critical condition, but she's fine. The nurse taking care of her will explain more."

We round a corner to the front of the emergency room and I see her. I see her limp body covered in blood. There's so much blood everywhere. She's almost unrecognizable. I hesitate outside the door for a moment. The nurse reassures me it's okay to go in and that she's okay.

I slowly walk in taking in the scene around me. There are a few nurses and a doctor working tirelessly around Catra's body. They're getting her cleaned up from all these wounds. There's just so much blood everywhere.

Finally a nurse approaches me. "Hi ma'am my name is Sarah, I'm Catra's primary nurse." She puts her arm around me and continues, "your girlfriend came to us an hour ago in critical condition. I won't lie to you, she's still very critical, but she's stable right now."

"What happened?"

"From what the police and the paramedics were able to gather her foster mom hurt her. Badly." She paused. My fists and jaw clench. That bitch. Anger starts to rise and build. Before I could say anything Sarah continues the story. "The medics found her unconscious in the garage. It appears that her foster mom hit her repeatedly with a bat. the police say she tried getting away when the garage door was closed on her causing several crushing injuries to her body. She has suffered several broken bones to her skull, her wrist, and several ribs that have resulted in a collapsed lung. As a result we have had to put a tube in her chest to help her breathe and reinflate her lung. She has several large cuts and bruises all over her body. One of the injuries to her broken wrist has caused an arterial bleed that will require emergency surgery. She's been talking but right now she is sedated due to her injuries and pain."

I stand there for a moment taking it all in. "Catra....."

"She kept mentioning you. She didn't want you to worry. She kept telling us to make sure to call you and let you know she's okay and to not worry about her. Unfortunately we could never get your phone number. Her foster sister, Lonnie, is here. She's the one who called 911, she tried stopping her foster mom but ended up getting a hit to the head and knocked out. She's fine though. Would you like to go up to Catra?"

I nod my head. She slowly guides me to her bedside. I grab her hand. "Catra. Catra baby I'm here. It's okay. You're going to be okay." I start crying again.

"Ma'am," I look up and see the doctor. "Ma'am we are going to need to take her to surgery. You can wait in the surgical waiting room, the nurse here will show your." And with that they start to prepare to wheel her out.

"Catra please know that I-" I couldn't finish my sentence before they wheeled her out. "-Love you." I whispered.

Blurb: okay first off. Catra is alive (Please no more death threats). Catra is very much alive, but is in critical health thanks to shadow weaver and will make a recovery but it'll be challenging at first. Lonnie is also in the ER but with minor injuries. Lonnie attempted to stop shadow weaver from harming Catra but failed and got knocked out after dialing 911. Adora also realized true feelings for Catra before she got rushed to surgery.

A/N okay everyone you can calm down now. She's alive! I'm an ER nurse and tried to explain things in the best terms I can to make it easy to read. If there are questions or if something doesn't make sense please leave a comment so I can fix it. I hope you enjoyed this chapter and that some of you can now breathe 😂 I truly love how much you all are enjoying it and it makes my heart swell. Thank you guys so much for all your love and support. We have officially passed the 10k mark! Couldn't of done it without all you out there so thank you again!