Chapter Five

Claire saw it. He was following her. Why would someone that cute be blessed with little sense? He was going to hear from her. She drove into a street and parked, and he did the same, parking his car behind hers.
She waited, and this time, he came to her. She got down and faced him, ready to teach him manners.

"What do you want?" She asked

"To repair your car please. Listen, I'm not like that okay. I just got carried away by your personality that I lost my sense of speech. I'm sorry please."

Claire looked at him and gave a sigh.

"It's okay. I'll handle it. You can stop following me now."

"Thank you but ......."

"No buts. Goodbye Mr Phil."

She got in and drove off, not caring if he followed her or not. Her trip to the lingerie shop has been cancelled now so she drove to the mechanic shop where her car would be fixed before taking a taxi home.

She got home and made for the kitchen after freshening up. There was oha soup in the freezer so she would just make the semolina and warm up the soup. Her husband was a good example of a mummy's boy. She wondered how Chief and Kelvin managed to put up with his not eating another woman's food. She dismissed the house helps for the day and started her duty in the kitchen.

***
Michael took a last glance at his office before picking up his briefcase. He was sure his wife had something brewing for him back home. He left the office only to meet Sarah still working on her desk. It was past closing time and everyone on the floor has left.

"Sarah?" He called softly
She looked up and quickly bent her head.

"What's the problem? Look at me."
He was concerned. She had never been one to shy away from anybody.
Sarah on her path refused to look up, instead, streams of tears started falling from her eyes.
The gentleman dropped his suitcase and went closer to his secretary.

"Sarah, I'm sorry for what happened between us earlier today. I shouldn't have talked to you like that after getting you aroused. I'm sorry."

The secretary was surprised. She least expected this from her boss. She cried out audibly, forcing Michael to reach out to her and envelop her in his arms.

"I'm sorry."
He said, stroking her hair and trying to calm her down. He was an emotional man and he hated seeing women cry. That was his breaking point. Sarah had to make use of this opportunity. She held him tight, sobbing uncontrollably.

"Sir......"

"Shhh. Don't do that. Come, let me drop you."

She was staying at the company's apartment. It was a few streets away.
She nodded and he waited for her to clear her table before they headed to his private elevator together.
At the parking lot, he opened the passenger door for her and she got in, while he slipped into the driver's side, started the ignition and drove off.

"You didn't have to put yourself through this stress sir." Sarah began

"What are you saying? I'm making up for my attitude okay?"

"You didn't force me to come to you. I ......."

"Let's not talk about it please. I already feel bad about trying to use you to get over my issues with my wife. But don't worry okay, allow me to make up for my mistakes."

"Are you having issues with madam? She was at the office and ......."

"We made up. Can I stay angry at my woman for long?"

A smile quickly appeared on his face as he remembered their short time at the office. He was sure there was more to come tonight. How did he not notice that his wife was faking her act just to add spice to their married.
He smiled more while Sarah turned her face into a tight frown. She knew he was thinking about his wife, even while she was here.
He drove into her street and she knew her time of bliss was over. She quickly thought of what to do, not wanting to be out of his sight now. She needed to leave something in his mind, something that will make him think of her always.

**
Claire was putting down the soup when her phone rang. She turned off the gas and checked the caller. It was her sister, Amara.

"Madam" Claire called out.

Her younger sister was the boss of the house. Both of them had grown up together, passing through pains and difficulties just to support themselves.
Claire had walked out of a burning house at the age of six, carrying her baby sister who was just nine months old.
Since then, she'd done everything possible to make her sister happy. They had lived in an orphanage somewhere in owerri for twelve years, enduring taunts and punishment in return for quality education.
After her wassce, Claire had gotten a schorlaship to study in UNILAG. Her accommodation and feeding were also taken care of and the wisest thing she thought she ever did was to pick her sister and off they left for Lagos where her new life had began.
She pampered her sister who grew into a beautiful woman, at the same time, arrogant and sassy. But she loved her still and they both understood each other.

"Good evening sis. Hope you're getting better?" Amara asked

"Yes my dear"

"Ehe, sister eh, I won't be coming home today o."

Claire frowned. Her sister was fond of sleeping out of the house and she didn't like it.

"Amarachukwu why didn't you tell me these before you left in the morning? You can't just make decisions whenever you deem fit. You've started keeping bad companies and I don't like it."

Claire was angry but she couldn't shout at her only family.

"Sister nau. I ....."

"Have you called my husband?"

"Sister you know he won't agree. Please tell him for me. I promise to be home first thing tomorrow morning."

"And tell that your boyfriend to do the right thing. If he wants free sex and food he should come and marry you."

"Sister e don do nau(sister it's okay). See you tomorrow."

"Bye bye biko(please) . And better come back early o. You know I'll be going to the hospital."

"I know sis."

"Good. Be careful. This is Lagos not Anambra o. And call me as soon as you get to his place."

"Okay, okay. Good night."

Claire ended the call and hissed. Amara is a handful.
She cleared the kitchen and headed to the sitting room. She would wait for her darling to come home.

***
Sarah was breathing fast. She struggled to breathe.
Micheal was afraid. She never mentioned being asthmatic.
He parked in front of her house and got down, rushing to her side immediately. What would have triggered this attack?

"Where's your inhaler?"

She pointed at the house. Micheal searched in her bag, not seeing her pointing at the house.

"Where is it!" This time, he was almost at the verge of cursing.
She pointed again and he lifted her up, grabbing her handbag, locking the doors and carrying her inside the compound.
She was like a helpless child and he felt for her. He had never seen her like that.
He got out her keys from her bag and opened the door. It was his second time here, the first was the day the house was completed. And the second, now.
He placed her on the sofa and before he could say Jack, she was sleeping. She looked disturbed even in her sleep. She never mentioned her illness to him, maybe he had been too strict as a boss.
He settled down beside her and looked around the well furnished room. It was just a while before he closed his eyes and answered the call of nature.

***
Claire busied herself watching a movie on mnet action. Her husband was taking long to come back and the food she served was getting cold. She would wait for thirty minutes more before she would call him. Maybe he's stuck in traffic or had a little more work to do. She couldn't wait for him to return so they would finish what they had started at the office.
She relaxed on the couch and fixed her eyes on the television only to slowly drift out of consciousness.