Chapter 26

Michael walked down the stairs, wondering why she sent for him.
Maybe she wants them to settle things amicably or she wants them to have a heart to heart talk. But she was already making preparations to leave the house and he hadn't even sorted things out with the stupid Ebere.

He hissed and finished his descent down the stairs.
He walked to the sitting room where she was setting her new phone and his heart skipped beats.
She was glowing.

"You sent for me." He lowered himself to an opposite couch.

"Yes. I want us to discuss your method of payment. I'm beating down the prize to 42million."

He looked at her in shock. They had spent up to a hundred and fifty million on the house, the building and the interior decoration plus the furniture. Why would she sell it for such a meagre sum?

"42? But why?"

"Because I take it that I'm giving this house away. I wouldn't want you and your pregnant wives to be homeless. I'm not that heartless."

"Claire please. Why are you doing this to me? Haven't you punished me enough? I've realised my.........."

"Method of payment?"

He opened his mouth but nothing came out. She had grown a thick skin and he'll have to do something about it.

"Get the documents ready. I'll pay by tomorrow evening. I'll have to consult my lawyer and accountant."

"Okay. That's nice."
She stood up and picked her phone.
"Excuse me."

With that, she walked out, swaying her hips sensually.

He cursed. This was getting out of hand and he needed to deal with it.
Since she didn't want the gentle approach, he'll try the alternative.

**********
"Take care of yourself okay?" Kelvin said, hugging her warmly.

"You too dear." Gertrude smiled.

"Tell your uncle that my family and I will see him in a fortnight."

She smiled deeply.
They were at the airport. She was going back to Edo.
They had spent the entire week warming up to each other.
Gertrude had found it difficult to be with him but he gave her time. He understood and his love for her wasn't pushy at all.
She, on her part had also done her best to look appealing to him.

They had visited chief and he gave his blessings without asking questions or showing doubts.
He had welcomed her to the family and promised to support her in any way he can.
Now, it was time to go and she couldn't let go of him.
Her flight was announced and she held her fiancé's hand.
"I'll miss you dear." She confessed.

He smiled. He was happy to hear that from her. She doesn't speak much but this was enough.

"I'll miss you too honey. Call me as soon as your plane lands hmm?"

She nodded and stood up and again, they shared a loving hug.
He watched her leave, satisfaction filling every vein in his body.
He was happy.
He made the right choice.
It was time to call his Claire, they have a wedding to organise.

***********
"Ebere!" Amara called out from upstairs.

She had made a mental note never to send Chika on any errand since she doesn't give her respect.
But Ebere was withdrawn, doesn't speak much and would be a pawn in her hands.

"Ebere!!!" She screamed.

Ebere rushed out of her room and ran upstairs, meeting the angry Amara in the balcony.