quarante-cinq

nytis

you could probably imagine jeonghan's reaction when soonyoung casually dropped the fact that he and jihoon were going to the ball together. almost knocking over his bowl full of batter, he grabbed soonyoung by his shoulders demanding to know every detail (jihoon obviously stepped in, because jeonghan definitely did not need to know every detail).

anywho, jeonghan was so excited and happy for them, he didn't even question where soonyoung got his invitation from. he had suspicions that minghao may have been involved but hey, his ship was sailing so that's all that matters.

both chan and seungcheol were beyond happy for jihoon once hearing that he was going to the ball. they both acted like how any siblings would.

"ji i can't believe you got an invitation to the ball!" chan exclaimed, eyes sparkling with excitement. jihoon could almost see a little tail wagging excitedly behind him. "make sure you remember every single detail 'kay? and then once you get back you've got to tell me everything. oh and ji? make sure you bring back souvenirs for cheol and i."

seungcheol was lying on the couch that time, he was taking lots of naps recently. "hoon this is great!" he said. his voice was thick with sleep deeming he just woke up from a nap but it still held genuine happiness. "take a break, you deserve it."

at this time, jihoon hadn't mentioned and felt like he should mention that he was going with soonyoung, so he did and that gained a few reactions.

"soonyoung?" seungcheol looked much more awake after hearing jihoon say that name. "soonyoung..huh..." seungcheol narrowed his eyes, "you two definitely have something going on. if you don't come back the next day, i'll just assume you went to his place and y'know..."

" 'y'know' what?" chan asked curiously.

"cheol, do not finish that sentence." jihoon spit out menacingly.

"what?" the older flashed jihoon an innocent smile, "i was just gonna say you'd spend the night there and sleep. on separate beds. nothing special." seungcheol cackled, "what were you thinking ji?"

for a moment, jihoon swore he saw jeonghan in the man's eyes.

and that's when chan got it. "ohh!" the younger clapped his hands, "wait so if ji doesn't come back that means he's getting fu-

"where did you learn these things from chan?" both jihoon and seungcheol looked at the frozen boy dead in the eyes.

"h-hey i'm only two years younger than jihoon."

"and you think that you can say things like that?"

"w-wait i-

and so, lee chan got lectured the life out of him that night.

fast forward a few days to the night of the midnight ball and jihoon is pacing around in the washroom checking his face, checking his hair, checking his outfit in the mirror and then rechecking everything. that's all that he has been doing for the past thirty minutes.

the boy looked at the unfamiliar reflection in the mirror and sighed. he smoothed out his black suit and frowned. should i keep it open or closed.. i'll just leave it open. the suit and white dress shirt were things he bought in a rush earlier this morning when chan reminded him he had nothing to wear.

he then glanced at the white shirt. now jihoon kind of regretted not looking closer before buying it. the neckline was a little bit too low for him liking. should i do some last minute sewing? what if-

"ji!" chan called out impatiently, "you've been in there for like hours now! come out, i'm sure you look fine."

jihoon's eyes anxiously flickered to the door before back to the mirror. his pants... my black pants are bad right? and the makeup and the hair... this is my first time in makeup.. this morning, jihoon just happened to pass by a stall selling makeup. the lady running the stall said he would look great if he wore some so he bought a little without thinking.

does that bronze look alright? should i wipe it off? my lips aren't too pink right? loud banging on the washroom door made jihoon jump. "just wait chan! i'm still-

"jihoon! what are you doing! i swear if you don't come out in the next five seconds, i'm gonna break down the door with cheol's crutches."

"why are you so nervous anyways?" he heard seungcheol call out, "i mean, it's probably not about the ball but instead about someone, right?"

that did it. jihoon pushed open the door and scowled at the two people, "shut it. i was just making sure i looked alright." both of them looked at jihoon and could only shake their head. chan and seungcheol exchanged looks.

"wow ji, that makeup really did something."

"ohh jihoon~" seungcheol sang out, "someone's looking fine as hell. soonyoung's gonna- 

there was a knock as the door. not wasting a second both of them shoved jihoon in the direction of the door, shooting winky faces and nodding their heads. annoyed at the two but nervous at the same time, he shoved them away and pulled open the door.

and just like soonyoung said he would, he was standing outside the door rocking on the balls of his feet only stopping when seeing the door open. the man showed up wearing black as well along with a thin black tie hanging down the front of his white dress shirt.

jihoon had seen soonyoung dress up once and that was the day jeonghan hired him. however that day was nothing compared to how soonyoung was looking now. tonight, he almost looked like royalty.

"hi," jihoon squeaked out unintelligently.

"oh... hey," soonyoung responded back, slightly breathless and just as unintelligent. "you look... good like.. really.. good."

jihoon chuckled, "thanks soonyoung. you look good.. like.. really.. good too." he said, mimicking soonyoung. "do you have your invitation?" jihoon patted his pocket making sure his was there. soonyoung nodded. "then let's go, shall we?"

soonyoung smiled and looped his arm through jihoon's. "yes jihoonie, let's go."

and so the night begins...