quarante-huit

nytis

even though soonyoung had clearly told him not to look for him, jihoon could help but glance behind him. the boy was hoping that he could've spotted that familiar silver hair among the people but soonyoung seemingly disappeared.

only when dongyun cleared his throat did jihoon turn back around. he put on his most natural smile hoping that it wouldn't look like a grimace and bowed hastily. "hello your majesty."

"enjoying the night?" dongyun asked.

"yes, your majesty. the night has been quite enjoyable so far." that is, until you came along. he was tempted to add that last part in but then decided that the king might leave faster if he decided to cooperate.

dongyun grabbed a glass from the table of refreshments nearby and swirled the dark liquid inside idly with no intention of drinking it. "how did you like the fireflies? i thought it would be a fun thing to add."

"it was very beautiful, your majesty." jihoon answered curtly, trying to subtly hint that he wanted to leave. but either dongyun didn't notice them or just chose to ignore them because he inched a little closer, clearly showing that he wasn't going to go anywhere.

"please call me dongyun. it gets a little tiring hearing 'your majesty' over and over again." he laughed airily.

"oh no, i couldn't-

"oh pretty stranger, i insist. and now may i get your name?"

"jihoon. lee jihoon." he responded tightly. he did not like this man, he never did and never will. when jihoon heard the music in the background stop then start again he took this as his chance to escape. "pardon me but i must leave now. it was a pleasure meeting you dongyun, have a good night."

if only escape was that easy.

"already?" he asked, hand grabbing onto jihoon's arm. "but a new dance has just begun. and it would be lovely if i could have this dance with you."

"i'm flattered but there are plenty of wonderful people who i'm sure you'd much rather dance with." jihoon said, eyeing all the women standing against the walls looking for a dance partner.

"don't think that i haven't noticed all those women, jihoon. you're the only one i want to dance with tonight."

"i am deeply sorry. like i said, i have somewhere-

"i think that you should know that there is nothing more important than a king's wish." dongyun said, his voice suddenly void of the sort of gentleness it had a few minutes earlier.

jihoon tried not to sigh, "of course but i do warn you, dancing is not my forte." a smile reappeared on the young man's face and he put down the untouched drink.

"that's what all the experts say," he laughed, slipping his hand into jihoon's and leading him to the dance floor. the dance was quite simple and jihoon had no problem keeping up with the pace.

he answered all of dongyun's questions with short answers cutting off any hope of having a good conversation and instead of focusing on the king he turned his attention to the people in the room. every once in a while jihoon would catch a glimpse of silver and jihoon secretly hoped that it was soonyoung.

he was still confused about why he suddenly ran off. jihoon was worried that maybe he said something wrong or maybe soonyoung really was just joking about his confession. the thought of soonyoung joking about something like that made his heart twist.

lost in his thoughts, jihoon abruptly felt something that sent the hairs on the back of his neck shooting straight up. wide eyed, he looked at dongyun. "what was that?" he stared the man dead in the eyes. someone just squeezed his ass. there was no way that was just his imagination.

"my apologies, jihoon. that was an accident." dongyun's voice was sincere but it was clear to jihoon that it wasn't just an accident. he was much more on edge now and paying closer attention to the position of dongyun's arm, he noticed it was much lower than normal.

"do you mind moving your arm up a bit?" jihoon gritted out, hoping the dance would end soon. dongyun flashed him a coy smile and did the exact opposite. "that's not what i said." jihoon bit his cheek, getting more frustrated and uncomfortable by the second.

"you're pretty mouthy for a peasant," dongyun drawled leaning in, "don't forget that i'm the king. i can do whatever i want." jihoon burned with rage. royalty or not, he didn't give a fuck anymore. wiggling his hands out of the other's, he pushed the king off and headed off to the side not even caring if he disturbed other dancers.

all he wanted was to find soonyoung and get the fuck out of this castle.

"where are you going jihoon?" dongyun called out, catching up to jihoon. "the music hasn't ended yet and i never allowed you to leave."

"i don't care," jihoon snapped coldly, trying to shake off dongyun's grip. "i've wasted enough time with you, your majesty."

"such a dirty mouth for such a pretty face," dongyun shook his head and stroke his cheek, "better watch that pretty mouth of yours."

jihoon shoved him away with disgust. "let me fucking go," he hissed.

"what's the-

suddenly, another hand appeared over dongyun's grip and pried his hand off of jihoon's wrist. "he said 'let go' so fucking let him go. i'm sure even you and that tiny brain of yours understands what that means." jihoon looked at the person and relief flooded through him.

soonyoung stood between them and looked at dongyun with fire burning in his eyes.