soixante-cinq

reinwa

soonyoung is going deaf.

after spending the entire week with sun hejin, he really doesn't want to hear her high pitched voice ever again. since that night he had an argument with his father, shiwoo seemed to be even more dead set on soonyoung getting married to the princess.

the only thing that kept him going through the week was his late night planning sessions with jisoo and the reminder that everything he was doing was just for show because at the end of the week, he would be out of reinwa.

so the prince sat through all the boring tea parties his parents held that were supposed to "bond" the two families closer, all the luxurious meals that he was sick of a long time ago and accompanied the princess wherever she wanted to go. was it painful? yes it was but he clenched his jaw and endured it all knowing that he'd be free as soon as this week was over.

"soonyoung!" hejin dainty tapped the prince on the shoulder, slightly irritated from how frequently the prince was spacing out today.

stifling a sigh, soonyoung tore his gaze away from a perfectly pruned bush of white roses and looked at the girl. tonight. he was leaving reinwa tonight. just a few more hours and he would be free. "what is it?" he asked, trying to put emotions into his voice (soonyoung was sure it still came out monotonous).

"i was trying to tell you how much i love your new black hair but someone wasn't listening," she pouted.

soonyoung didn't know why hejin pouted so much. was it supposed to be cute? was he supposed to feel things after he sees her pout? what ever he was supposed to feel, he didn't. to be frank, hejin looked a stupid when she made that face. soonyoung had an urge to tell her but he had a feeling he wasn't supposed to tell a princess she looked stupid even if she did.

humming, soonyoung turned his attention back to the flowers. his hair was now black, it was jisoo who suggested he change the silver to something more normal.

"i mean, how many nineteen year olds with silver hair do you see walking around? i doubt many people in nytis will remember your face but i guarantee that almost everyone is going to remember that hair colour of yours."

it's the same colour as jihoon's now. i wonder if he'll like it. the boy cracked a small smile at the thought of jihoon. just a few more hours and then if everything goes according to plan, he'll finally be able to hold the boy in his arms again.

"soonyoung... you're always so quiet and cold. you never go out with me unless your parents tell you to. you never talk to me or even respond properly to things that i say. i was just complimenting you, the least you can do is say 'thank you'."

soonyoung glanced at hejin out of the corner of his eye. "thank you."

the princess rolled her eyes, "do you even love me?"

hilarious. "of course not," soonyoung responded without hesitation. "we met a week ago and this was all our parents' plan. plus.." i'm already in love with someone else. he waited for hejin to cry and rage but surprisingly, she didn't.

the girl laughed bitterly, "well can't you at least act like it? we're going to get married eventually whether we like it or not, so can't you at least pretend?" she sighed, "surely you don't think i'm in love with you because i'm not. believe it or not, i'm actually in love with someone else."

soonyoung kept the surprise off his face, "oh. who's the lucky guy then?" personally he would consider the guy more as unlucky but..

hejin scowled (this was the first time he had seen her make such a "improper" facial expression), "it's a girl and it's not going to happen because of whatever stupid thing is going on between us. so now that you know i'm pretending, can't you do the same?"

he had to admit, knowing hejin cared about him just as much as he cared about her (which wasn't much) did make it easier, "fine. for the next two hours and in front of our parents only."

it was eleven o'clock, one hour before midnight. soonyoung was dressed in pain commoner clothing with a dull brown cloak draped over his shoulders. patting his wait he checked to make sure he had his pouch full of coins. that was all he needed. quickly opening his window, he stepped onto the balcony and dropped down a rope he had prepared earlier.

gripping the rope, he slowly lowered himself down. as soon as his feet touched the ground, soonyoung ran towards the stables where jisoo had planned to meet him. as he snuck through the grass to the dark stables, soonyoung could help but feel a giddy rush of excitement.

"jisoo! i'm here!" he whispered quietly. "where are you?" a small ball of light appeared as jisoo stepped out of the shadows and lit a lamp.

jisoo smiled, "you're here."

"let's get the horse and the cart. i want to leave as soon as possible."

standing by the lamp, the man didn't move and just continued to smile that gentle smile of his. "his majesty is a smart man, he knows you pretty well."

"what are you talking about jisoo?" soonyoung huffed, "let's get out quickly." he was getting more stressed by the second.

"his majesty predicted that you would decide to run away," jisoo said, his smile unwavering, "you ordered me to help you escape, he ordered me to stop you at all costs."

"he what-

before soonyoung could finish his sentence, the man grabbed his arm and flipped him onto the ground making the lamp sitting on the side tremble. one arm pinning soonyoung's, jisoo lifted his and placed it on soonyoung's chest while the prince was still trying to comprehend what was going on.

his face hadn't changed. still soft and gentle as a minute earlier you would never expect someone like him to have soonyoung under his foot still sprawled on the ground still struggling to get air back in his lungs.

"and do you know who's orders are my priority?"