Charlie Lost the Bet

Chapter Nineteen

I know I fucked up.

Winn's making it obvious that I've done something to upset him.

And I continue to fuck up every day that I spend not apologising to him.

I still don't know what exactly I did, but I have a few ideas.

He cancelled on me on Friday and now it's Saturday and he's not responding to my 'do you wanna hang out' texts.

We're having breakfast at Charlie's house because we still need to prepare for our last two football games. We're gonna reach playoffs, there's no doubt.

"Listen, you release and then-" Scott is telling Charlie as we sit around his dining table because there are no distractions in the dining room. "Monty, are you even listening?"

Maybe his wifi is bad or something. Or maybe he lost his phone. He's probably still sleeping. He'll read the message soon.

Delivered.

I have the rest of the day off, I can't just waste it. I need to see h-

"Monty!"

"Huh?"

I look up from my phone and they're both staring at me. Great. Friend intervention incoming.

"What did you do?" Charlie asks me with a slight raise of his eyebrows.

I frown. Why do they always assume I'm the one who messed up?

"Nothing. I-"

And Scott reaches over the table and snatches the phone out of my hand before I even get the chance to react.

He and Charlie look at the messages and analyse them like it's a poem for English. Maybe I should try writing him a poem?

He'd have to reply to that.

Scott slides my phone back to me across the table and he sighs.

"What did you do, Monty?" he repeats after Charlie and now they're both looking at me, waiting.

"Nothing. Okay?" I say but they don't look convinced. "Okay. You were saying, release and then-"

"No no no," Charlie says quickly and I roll my eyes. "You tell us what you did to poor Winston to make him ignore you."

I scoff. "He's not ignoring me, he's probably still sleeping."

"At eleven in the morning?" Scott asks and I should claim that punch that I owe him right now.

I'm about to argue that we're eating breakfast at this time, but that's us. Winn could never sleep in, not unless he was drunk.

I sigh and I push my hair back. Why does he always have to be so confusing? Can't he just tell me what I did wrong and then we can just work it out?

"You've obviously done something to upset him," Charlie tells me and I groan. Yeah, no shit. "Just go over there and talk to him."

I really feel like hanging out with Charlie is making me dumber.

"Can you read? I've asked him to hang out and he hasn't even opened the message," I remind them and they look at each other like I'm the idiot in the room.

"Don't take this the wrong way but," Charlie starts and I already know I'm going to take it the wrong way. "Do you ever feel like maybe you're not putting in as much effort as Winston is?"

I grimace and Scott nods agreeing with Charlie. "What the fuck is that supposed to mean?"

Scott sighs but he looks at Charlie to explain.