Better Together

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Benji seems to be the only one who notices my red knuckles when I come back in. Thankfully, he doesn't say anything, just grins to himself.

I finish my food in silence, not even daring to look up at Winn or Benji. Winn doesn't try to get me to talk to him either but we need to talk.

I thank Winn's family for having me over and Winn's eyes follow me as I stand up.

"Wait, where are you going?" he asks me and he looks upset that I'd leave him.

"I should get back to Scott's," I say and he raises an eyebrow.

Please, tell me to stay. Please, tell me that you need to talk to me. Please, don't just let me leave. Don't get bored of me.

"Can't you stay for a few more minutes?" he asks and I want to smile because he's not letting me go.

Lucas was wrong. He'll never get bored of me.

"Okay," I say quietly and he starts to stand up from his own chair. "I guess I can stay for a bit longer."

I'll stay all night if he asks me to.

He puts his hand on my elbow and he starts leading us out of the dining room. No one asks us where we're going but I see Benji grinning to himself behind his messy dark hair.

He takes his hand off of me once we're by the stairs and I have no idea why we're going upstairs but I don't mind.

I'm still thinking about what Lucas told me. Was Winn trying to get over me? Or was he trying to replace me? I guess we'll find out soon.

He sighs once we enter one of the rooms. It looks like the master bedroom and he closes the door behind us.

"I didn't invite Lucas," Winn tells me straight away like he's been holding it in all day.

"Okay," I say calmly. I believe him. He's not stupid, he wouldn't invite both of us.

"I just invited you. That's it," he continues just in case I don't quite believe him. "I only wanted you here."

I nod slowly and then I sigh. He wanted me here. But he also wants us to stay friends.

"Wha-What are we doing?"

His eyebrows furrow and he frowns. "What do you mean?"

"I mean..." I sigh and I run a hand through my hair. "One minute you want us to be friends and then the next you're just saying shit like this. I don't know what I'm meant to think."

"Okay, you wanna talk about confusing?" he says and he raises his eyebrows at me. "What was that? You kissing me on the cheek? Then ignoring me until dinner. And don't think I haven't noticed that your knuckles suddenly changed colour after you 'walked' Lucas out."

"I was ignoring you?" I ask and I scoff. I'm hoping he won't ask about the other two things he mentioned.

"What about the kiss then?" he asks me and he suddenly looks nervous. "What the hell was that?"

"Did you want me to kiss you properly?" I ask him and his eyes flicker to my lips automatically. Fuck, we're supposed to talk this out. We're not supposed to want to kiss.

"T-that's not what I meant," he stammers and he looks away from me.

"Can we just fuck the whole 'friends' thing?" I ask him. Benji said it himself, it's exhausting and it's fucking tiring to act like I don't want him every second of every single day.