Chapter 7: Unwanted Guests

On the road, Peter drives Miranda out to pick up the part she needs for her car.  Peter decides to get some info from her, asking if she's been hanging around with Roman.  

"Meaning?" She asks, curious with his tone.  

"Meaning 'hanging out'.  What else do I mean?" Peter shrugs.

She frowns at him, "Why are you so interested in Roman?"

"I'm not." 

"Then why are you so 'not' interested in him?" She laughs.  

"I was just making conversations." Peter says simply.

"Did you two date the same girl?  Or each other?" She giggles.  "Or did you two fight over...um...what's her name?" She frowns, then snaps her fingers, "Celena?"

Peter quickly looks at her in shock, "He told you about Celena?"

Miranda smirks, "I knew it!  You two fought over her and he won her over, didn't he?"

Peter looks back at the road and sighs, "It's complicated.  We...we were friends.  But we all had a falling out.  Things are ok with Celena and I, but Roman...he's still got me on his shit list."

"Why did you guys 'break up'?" She holds up air quotes.  

"He's just not someone you should trust, ok?" 

"Sorry, you brought it up." She mutters, looking at him weirdly.  

Peter sighs, how can he warn her without telling her that Roman's an Upir and he was a werewolf?  She would call the cops on his ass and he'll be off to the loony bin or a lab.  

Suddenly, his phone begins to ring, "Yeah?" He answers.

"You have received a collect call from the Hemlock County  Department of Corrections."  An operator speaks over the other line. 

Peter sits up straight in alert.  He couldn't believe it, Lynda was calling him!

"Please press 1 to accept the charges." 

Peter looks over to Miranda, "Just...just give me a sec, ok?" He says as he watches out for any coming cars and pulls the truck over.  He gets out and gets back on the phone.  "Hi!  Oh, it's so good to hear your voice." He smiles, but it drops as he walks further away from the truck, but Miranda could hear everything he says.  "What?  No, no, Lynda.  Lynda.  Lynda." He tries to calm his mom down.  "Everything's gonna be ok. Yeah, and she's the best lawyer in the state." He laughs at what his mom says, "Then I'll find the best lawyer in the whole country, ok?" He looks up and watches Miranda giving him a sexy smile.  He looks away, frowning.  "Wherever you are, I'm with you." He sighs.  "Yeah, I'll tell her.  I miss you.  We both do.  I love you." He says.  

He cuts the call and tucks the phone back into his jacket and walks back to the truck.  

"Everything ok?" Miranda asks. 

"Yeah, just dealing with some bullshit." He scoffs and drives off to the salvage yard to pick up the parts. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Panting softly, Shelley helps a injured Viktor walk through the woods.  Together, they stopped and lean on an old rusted VW and watch out for anyone around them.  Viktor looks up and sees a building with a foreclosure sign.  He grunts in pain and Shelley holds on to him gently. 

"It's bleeding again." She says in her mind and tightens the strap, making him yelp. "I'm sorry."

Viktor shakes his head, "It's fine.  I'll be ok.  But you need to rest.  You're exhausted.  I just need to heal." He pants, sweat dripping from his face.