Chapter 13: Finding the Cure

Pryce kept his word.  Before Celena knew it, she was watching  the nurses and doctor's strap Roman on a table.  A metal head brace surrounded his face and and goggle like straps attached to him.  One brace around his hips with 4 large needles and more needles on his head.  Pryce had Celena dressed in scrubs since she wouldn't leave and he didn't dare go against her.  Not after what he witnessed in his penthouse. 

Roman shakes and breathes heavily with fear.  Celena takes his hand in hers and holds it tight.  

"I'm never leaving you." She says as a mask covers her face.  

Shuddering out a sigh, he gives her a shakily smile.

Celena looks over to Pryce as he prepares, he walks over to a nurse, "Dr. Zheleznova-Burdukovskaya...I'm becoming weary of explaining to you Roman Godfrey's receiving gene therapy for a rare renal disorder. 

Dr. Zheleznoa-Burdukoskaya takes off her mask. "I know, and I am here to assist you." She insists.  

"And I'm telling you again your offer is appreciated, but your presence is entirely unnecessary." Pryce demands. 

"But I can be of service." She continues to be insistent. 

"Yes, elsewhere.  You're falling behind on your other assignments." Pryce smirks.

"Allegation is false.  Your special request is in process." She states. 

Celena frowns at what they were discussing.  

"In the meantime..." 

Pryce cuts the doctor off, "You're trying my patience, Doctor."

"And you are being irrational, Doctor." Her accent thickens. 

"I suggest you stop questioning my authority.  I won't have it, do you understand." Pryce grits his teeth at her. "Now go, before I lose my equanimity." He moves aside for her to leave.

Sighing in annoyance, the doctor bites her tongue, "Yes, Doctor." She sneers and leaves.  

Celena watches the Doctor leave, but hears whispering.  She looks over at Pryce who watches her.  

"You may let him go now.  Once I make the injections...it will be uncomfortable." Pryce warns her. 

Celena glares at him and slowly lets Roman go for the machine to move.  But she moves around and stays close to him.  

Roman pants nervously and looks over to Pryce as he moves to stand next to Roman, "Sure you know what you're doing here, Pryce?"

"Oh, it's actually quite simple.  Your organs and tissues will be reverted to stem cell status, one by one, and then re-differentiated into healthy human organs, purged of the bonded retroviral fragments that dictate upir-ism.  Soon, you will leave the world of upirs to take your place amongst the world of men. Now, you may feel some minor discomfort. But your nervous system is configured in such a way that it's essentially impossible for any anesthesia to mitigate the unpleasantness.  And I need you responsive and conscious during the treatment." Pryce explains. 

Shaking in fear, "Is there nothing you can do to control the pain?" Roman shudders out. 

Pryce chuckles, "Think happy thoughts." 

Celena scoffs, but focuses on Roman, "Think about last night." Celena smiles as she makes flashes of their love making invade his mind.  

Roman sighs and laughs as he thinks when he had Celena back in his arms.  Hearing her moan for him again.  

Pryce moves to turn on opera music as the machines start up.  Two robots start to move and spin their syringes around.  

They turn and stab into Roman, making him shout and gasp in pain.  Celena covers her mouth as she watches.  Mainly, to stop herself from crying out.