Chapter 9

He was alone again in a field of white light and utter silence. He'd been here before... or had he? There was nothing recognisable save for the one feature: blank space of pure white. He felt no pain, no air, no cold nor warmth... was he floating or standing? He couldn't tell how heavy he was or if he moved if he would float away.

Looking around him granted him no pleasure of something to latch onto... he wasn't even sure if he had even moved.

"Hello?" He called out but even the silence swallowed his voice. He felt it slide past his lips and he thought he heard it but surely no one else could.

He looked around once more, feeling the fear beginning to climb up his spine when his gaze landed upon his friends and family, enjoying one another's company around a dining table. They were eating a feast and toasting, laughing and chatting.. They looked happy... but he wasn't there. Why was he not there? Perhaps... he needed to go to them.

"Guys!" He called out, desperate to grab their attention but as he ran to them they slinked away as if being pulled on some string; was he a cat chasing a toy?

"Guys!" He called out once more, sprinting now until finally they were no more, zipping out of existence beyond his sight.

He slowed to a stop as despair crept around his heart. Now he felt cold... all his warmth, his confidence and love seemingly sapped by fear, loneliness and doubt. Was this his punishment for something? Why was this happening?

Atem... where was his partner?!

"Yugi.... Yugi."

Yugi awoke with a frightful jolt which immediately made his side twitch and clench painfully, warning him not to do that again.

"Ow..." He whispered through gritted teeth before he cracked open his eyes to see deep violet ones looking down upon him, large and sparkling with concern. He smiled a small smile of relief when he saw he had awoken but the worry never left his eyes. For Yugi though his heart raced... he was here!

"Atem!" His voice cracked with relief before he felt reality around them... he was in the hospital bed, in a darkened room with machinery and bare furniture... he was alive... of course he was alive... that had been a dream.

"Are you okay? You seemed to be having a bad dream." Atem said to him gently. His voice was quiet... as if anyone else but he could hear him... though it was late... or it looked it. How long had he been asleep?

"I-I'm okay. What time is it?"

"About 8:30. That drug really knocked you out." Atem said with a gentle sigh, easing down to lean on the wall beside him.

"Yeah it was like... 2 something right?"

"About that."

"Have I missed anything?" Yugi asked as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

"Your doctor came to visit but you were dead to the world. I think he wrote down some things on your clip board but I can't make sense of it. It's been quiet otherwise. How are you feeling?" Atem asked. His concern hadn't let up yet... he supposed he understood that.

"Ummm..." Yugi stretched slowly, careful not to aggravate his injuries too much and then relaxed when his body told him that was enough. "I'm okay. Little sore but not more than expected. Have you just been hanging around this whole time?"

"There's not much else I can do. I did go into my room for a while, revisited some memories but I heard you talking in your sleep and felt your fear so I came to check on you."

"Talking... what did I say?"

"You were calling out my name... You weren't exactly calm."

Yugi sighed... he supposed he should at least tell him about the dream... he didn't need to but he was obviously worried.

"It was nothing major. I'm sorry to have dragged you away. I dreamt that I was ... I suppose I could describe it as the Veil... there was nothing but white space... and I was alone except I was watching everyone I know enjoy themselves without me, and the more I tried to chase them the further they got from me... and then I started wondering where you were and why you weren't there... Then you woke me up."

"The Veil... Well you're here now, safe and sound and definitely not alone. Considering what you've been through I'm not too surprised your dreaming about that place... you almost died after all... for a brief moment or two you had... your mind is likely trying to deal with that." Atem said wisely. Though there was something else... something he wasn't saying... but the look in his eyes, the tone in his voice suggested that whatever concerned him was a farfetched thought, likely nothing... so he dropped it.

"You're probably right." Yugi smiled before he absent mindedly looked around... he was feeling hungry... but he also wanted to go home... 8:30... that was still early enough to get a lift home... right? If his doctor would let him though, he might need permission... though he could just sign out himself... it's not like they needed him here for much else.

"Do you think the nurse would mind if I call one down to ask them if I can go home?" Yugi asked him.

"You could always try. Regardless you should eat soon. In any case you can at least ask for something." Atem smiled.

Yugi smiled too, feeling his mood lift.

When the nurse arrived he asked her if he could go home. She checked his board, saw who his doctor was and told him to wait while she called him. She came back quicker than expected, telling him his doctor was just about to leave but will visit him before doing so. This didn't answer his question but he supposed this might still be a good thing...

So they waited patiently as Atem described to him what he had been doing in his room. Apparently since getting his memories back the labrynth that was his mind was now a lot more orderly and less dangerous. Yugi told him to give him a tour later when Doctor Kuwai entered the room.

"Yugi. Good to see you're awake. I was about to head in but I'm told you want to know if you can go home?"

"If possible, please."

"Well that depends on how your feeling. Your Xrays came back good. Everything still in place. Ultrasounds good too, no bleeding where you shouldn't be. Can you stand?" He asked.

Yugi slowly lifted himself up onto his elbows and swung his legs over the edge of the bed. He waited a moment as his center of gravity reset itself and Dr. Kuwai helped him off the bed and onto his feet.

"Alright, steady now." He said as Yugi steadied himself.

"I'm alright." Yugi said kindly. He lifted his arms up a little to stretch as much as he could, at least until his body protested.

"Walk a bit." Dr. Kuwai Told him.

He did as he was told, walking normally to and from the far wall.

"Alright. You seem to be okay enough. Just listen to your body, dont over do anything. Actually i dont want you doing anything for the next few days. No lifting, no running... no strenuous activities, no housework."

"Can i have that in writing? Grandpa wont believe me if i come home saying that." Yugi joked. Dr. Kuwai and Atem both laughed at him.

"Well you must be fine if your making jokes. Ill get admin to call your grandfather to come pick you up, you can gather your things and do you know your way to reception? I'll get you to sign out."

"I do, yes. Thank you." Yugi said happily shaking his hand.

"Very good. Well, all the best. I'll be in touch in a few days and we'll see you again in two weeks for a check up." Dr. Kuwai said pleasantly as Yugi grabbed his phone and wallet from the bedside table and followed him out.

"Good for you Yugi." Atem told him happily, floating beside him.

"It's gonna be so good to get home." Yugi told him internally.