Chapter 32

The next day Tristan drove them across the sea of sand in a jeep foolishly designed with no cover from the scorching sun above. They wore protective clothing to shield their delicate skin from the anger of the sun god but the heat was stifling even in a moving car.

Yugi ... or Bakura as it was and Atem were unphased by the heat, much to Tea's and Joey's dismay.

They had packed water, sunscreen, a medical kit and various supplies under the real Yugi's advice and with his account he was able to secure some equipment he would need from the Cairo university. Perks of being a well respected Archaeologist.

The roar of the engine was drowned by the hissing of the wind and the sand blowing past them threatened to scratch and tear at their skin. They spent most of the trip hiding behind their linen masks and protecting one another from the elements as Bakura had insisted they drive quickly. He sat at the front with him, for once opting for silence as he honed in on his body's location. Atem kept a close watch on him, choosing to sit behind him where he could monitor him closer.

They drove for hours over rises and falls as the dunes seemingly danced with them, bopping like actual waves in the ocean. They were far from any city, any ruins, any landmarks when their car began to slow to a halt. The sand died down, all was still save for the hawks overhead, searching for small rodents or snakes to hunt.

"Out of gas already?" Tea complained.

"Thats why we brought extra. Gimme a minute to fill her up." Tristan said as he jumped over his door to retrieve the gasoline tanks hidden beneath layers of cover to keep them cool.

"We're getting close." Bakura said quietly.

"How can you tell?" Joey asked.

Bakura ignored him, choosing to leave the vehicle and stretch his legs. Atem followed him. He walked over the rise of the next dune, far enough from the car that they would need to shout when they were ready but they would not be going far. He could feel it. Another hour perhaps at that pace ... he was so close now he could taste it. But even when they find it, Yugi's body was still weak. Yugi could probably live now in control but the ritual would kill him... he needed more time.

'Once we have your body if it still exists, we may be able to transport it somewhere closer to civilisation. If it still exists.' Yugi said to him.

"Bakura." Atem warned as he approached. He stood beside him, shielding his face from the sun leering down at them. Yugi smiled but Bakura was annoyed by his hovering.

"I'm not going far. You might as well wait by the car Pharoah. Let us talk in peace." Bakura hissed.

"If I recall your home town isn't far from here. My soldiers would have abandoned you where you lay unless directed otherwise. Most criminals were given rights to descend with Anubis but if what Yugi says is true then you weren't." Atem said plainly.

"What of it?"

"Your body was recovered wasn't it? Taken back and buried properly by your soldiers, correct?"

"I guess we'll find out, won't we?" Bakura said as he spun on his heel to leave him there.

'Bakura if he's right... you better not be putting my friends in danger just to recover your body. If your body is in a tomb -'

"What are you going to do Yugi? You are the one who wanted your friends here, not me. I was happy to retrieve the materials you needed and leave. You are the one who brought them here." Bakura snapped at him.

An hour and a half they drove for before they reached the ruin town of Kul Elna. They drove to a stop in the middle of the ruins where Bakura lead them further inside.