Chapter 10

Grandpa was so happy to have him home, though much to their amusement he never stopped hovering over him throughout the night; always checking if he needed anything or if there was something he could do to help him be more comfortable. Yugi waved him off politely, seated comfortably on the couch cuddling a pillow while Atem looked around. The layout of the living room was much the same but he had found some photos that were new, specifically ones of Yugi graduating highschool and earning his PhD in archaeology. There were even photos of him at different places in the world. Yugi watched in complete amusement as Atem admired the photos, gushing over how proud he was.

After an hour or so though Grandpa was looking to go to bed so Yugi agreed to take his assistance up the stairs to his room too and bid him goodnight. Though Yugi and Atem were far from sleeping.

Yugi showed Atem trinkets and photos of his time abroad, telling him stories from his adventures, both the good times and the bad. He showed him his diploma and the ridiculous hat he had to wear for graduation. Atem dared him to wear the outfit in jest but Yugi heartily refused.

"Tell you what, next time you're in control you can wear the outfit but I'm not wearing that again unless I need to." Yugi laughed.

"I fail to see the problem Yugi. It's a mark of your accomplishments." Atem giggled.

"I look like a walking tent, I'm not wearing it."

"I'm going to have so much fun with you." Atem winked slyly at him, bringing a faint blush to Yugi's cheeks.

"Speaking of fun..." Yugi said quietly. He walked over to his desk and began rummaging around the drawer of his desk before pulling out a golden box Atem knew all too well. His heart beat quickly as Yugi brought it over to the bed, sitting in between them gently.

"I've kept this in here since you left. I've been using mine against Joey but yours I kept yours safe... I couldn't bring myself to use it. I'm going to start carrying it around again now that you're back... so if you want to duel then you can." Yugi smiled as he gingerly picked up the duel deck.

"Yugi..." Atem breathed. His eyes were wide, his lips parted as he set his gaze upon his old deck... the one he'd used against Yugi all those years ago.

Without warning Yugi switched places with him and Atem almost dropped the deck in surprise.

"I... I can't believe you kept this." Atem stammered, fanning out the cards to look upon them again. His eyes became wet and his nose started tingling. He smiled and sniffed, collecting his composure before Yugi could catch him like this.

"It's missing the god cards... but they're safe and secure. Otherwise, it's exactly the same." Yugi said gently.

"Thank you Yugi. You just... keep surprising me." Atem's voice was deep, warm and fighting off emotions Yugi could only smile at. It made him happy to know how much Atem appreciated this.

"Should I leave you and the deck alone?" Yugi joked. Atem laughed then, his outer shell breaking momentarily to let his emotions out to play just for a second. He wiped a tear from his eye, grinning wildly as he giggled at him.

"Yugi." He shook his head.

"What?" Yugi asked cheekily.

Atem looked at him, still smiling at his cheek. "You've changed so much." He said sweetly.

"Have I?" Yugi asked. "I suppose so... in a way. Maybe."

"Maybe not changed... grown is more fitting." Atem nodded in agreement.

"Took you 3 days to make a growth joke, I'm impressed." Yugi giggled.

Atem giggled with him and took them both inside their minds. Yugi was confused at first but when Atem pulled him in for deep yet gentle cuddle he smiled and nuzzled into him, feeling his heart beating rapidly against his chest and his warmth through his clothes.

"I've missed you." Atem whispered quietly.

"I've missed you too pal." Yugi whispered back to him as he took in his scent and the feel of holding him close.

Atem released him then, a soft smile pulling at his lips he couldn't mask and such warmth in his eyes that made them shimmer.

"Tell me about what's new with Duel Monsters. Surely you've been keeping up with the trends at least." Atem said, taking them back out and into reality again.

"Right." Yugi said, taking his body over again to grab his laptop from the desk. Opening it up and laying down on the bed, back against the wall, he showed Atem all the new packs and cards that have been coming out over the last few years and together they stayed up talking until the early hours of the morning before Yugi started getting tired again. Atem had to take over his body just so he could put the laptop away and put himself to bed because Yugi was stubborn.

As Yugi slept through Atem knelt down beside the bed, resting his head on his hands as he watched the boy sleep. He was so happy to be back, and so happy that Yugi was happy... his humour, his generosity and sincerity... you wouldn't he was injured a few days ago... much less just gotten out of the hospital. Even now, 6 years later, the boy still amazed him.

He supposed though, he wasn't a boy anymore... but a remarkable young man...

Yugi stirred in his sleep, rolling around to face him now, his hand falling limp off the bed lazily to almost hit him... in his spectral form though he felt nothing... his heart sank immediately. He was grateful to be back, and didn't regret following him... so was it wrong for him to wish he had more? When he hugged him earlier he felt almost greedy for not wanting to stop... to hold him so realistically felt ... right. He had felt this on this level once before, during his memories and Yugi had come to save him... when their hands entwined and their gazes locked and he was reminded of the strength of their bond...

Absentmindedly he touched Yugi's hand, knowing he could only reach out to him emotionally but not actually touch him... still he felt warmth where there would have been skin and as if reacting to his touch Yugi sighed peacefully, moving his fingers in a way that would have taken Atem's hand and pulling him closer. Had he been real, he'd have snuggled his hand beneath his chin and against his chest.

His heart ached then... he knew he wanted more... to actually feel the touch as if he were flesh and blood... he wanted this desperately.

He took in a deep breath to steady his emotions and pulled back into the boys mind, retreating safely within his own corner of his mind reserved for him. Inside were his memories, rooms and halls themed specifically to each memory and desire, each thought he kept and fantasy he could create.

As the boy slept he knew he'd have privacy here and so created a new room, simple in design with no furnishings or decorations... just an empty blank slate of a room...

He created this room with intention but as he stood inside he hesitated... now that he thought about it he wondered what this fantasy would mean... what would happen if Yugi had discovered it... He stood here, conflicted ... all he wanted was to feel real, was to be touched and held... that's all... right?

He created a model that looked just like Yugi to stand before him. He stood, blinked a few times and then smiled when he saw him... it was a perfect replica of him, he almost wasn't sure if it was the real one but he couldn't feel Yugi's presence with him... he felt his presence still in control, asleep soundly... This was the fake one, an imitation... a fantasy.

He lifted his hand to touch his, making the fake Yugi do the same and once their fingers touched he felt tingles through his skin... it felt real... so so real...

Immediately he retreated from the room, locking the door behind him and sliding down to sit against the door. Tears welled up in his eyes as emotions he was not ready for overcame him, flooding him everywhere so that he could not get a grip on himself. What was happening to him? Why did he want this so much? He could be a part of Yugi's life for the rest of his life now... he wouldn't miss anything else anymore... was this not enough? It used to be... it always used to be enough just to be near him... but now he wanted more... why?! Why was he ungrateful?