Chapter 33

"This place gives me the creeps." Tea squirmed, holding her arms together despite the sweltering heat.

"I know. Doesn't it feel like there are ghosts watching your every move?" Joey asked, tickling the back of her neck to make her jump and slap him.

"Don't do that!" She snapped.

"Guys. We're walking in a dead town whose souls now reside within the Millenium Items your all wearing. A little respect please." Yugi said sternly.

They came to a well when Yugi stopped.

He walked around it, searching for something unknown to them.

"They didn't just drop it down there did they?" Joey asked.

"Talk about respect." Tristan sneered.

Yugi touched a stone and nearby the sand shifted and stone ground stone, scraping and churning as ancient wooden gears groaned and creaked. A stair case carved itself from the sand, defending deep beneath the town into pitch black nothingness.

"That would be simple." Yugi sighed.

"Be very careful. Follow my steps and do as I say. Torches out." Yugi ordered as he slipped out his phone to use it's torch.

Once in the shade the temperature dropped dramatically. Their sweat almost froze on them, and their skin chilled to form little goosebumps and make their hairs stand on end.

"Damn it's cold in here." Joey said quietly.

"Almost wanna go back into the sun." Tristan agreed.

"Don't get comfortable." Yugi warned.

"Hey Yugi. Is this tomb going to be trapped like Atems was?" Tea asked.

"More than likely. Which is why I'm going first."

"Not that I want Bakuras company but why doesn't he lead the way?" Joey asked.

"He hasn't been here either. Whoever designed this designed it either after he died or designed it before without intention of using it for Bakura. He knows as much as I do: nothing and that his body is here."

"There are no murals, no carvings... most tombs tell the story of those buried within." Atem noted.

"It's possible this tomb was unfinished when they buried Bakura here, or its possible however unlikely that its unadorned because he was a criminal... but if that was the case I doubt he'd have been given a tomb so well hidden."

"Wasn't entirely well hidden though Yug i mean dont you guys use those seismic things?" Joey asked.

"Yes and no one must have used one for the town. It was so desolate and under valued they likely just assumed nothing else was here."

"Doesnt sound very professional." Tristan joked.

"Wasn't my team." Yugi shrugged. He stopped and held a hand up to stop them and they waited. Yugi looked around in place but he appeared to be listening for something. They heard nothing but they trusted Yugi and waited.

"What's wrong?" Tea whispered to him eventually.

"The temperature shifted." Yugi said, crouching down to touch the sand beneath them. He drew in the sand, brushing it away to reveal the unpolished sandstone underneath and laid his hand flat. "We're standing on something hot."

"What could it be?" Tea asked.

"Lava?" Joey asked.

"Magma Joey and no. We aren't deep enough or near a volcano. If i were to venture a guess, ahead of us should be a trigger to open the floor to some kind of brazier pit."

"Well let's not set it off then." Tristan said sarcastically.

"Agreed. Go back a bit." Yugi told them. They did as told but he didn't move. Once they were cleared he took out a small towel he was using for the sand earlier and with quick even twirls moved the sand to reveal a slightly raised stone.

"Don't step there."

Once they were all safely across they continued further on until they came to an ancient Hall. A cracked stone table lay broken in the centre with stone chairs carved into the floors around it. It was perfect for meetings and discussions rather than family gatherings. Whatever this was used for or was supposed to be used for it was not for domestic use. Alcoves in the side housed ancient pots and dead sand while cracked and dusted mirrors hung on the walls. An old hanging Brazier made of iron rested atop the table where it had smashed... sometime after this place was abandoned it must have fallen. There was nothing else here save for two doors at the end of the great Hall.

"Wow. What is this place Yugi?" Tea asked.

"This is a hideout. I don't know how old it is but judging by the brazier id say ... 2500 years old... which makes it 500 years younger than Atem and Bakura."

"Wow that's old... uhh, no offence." Tea laughed nervously.

"Non taken." Atem giggled.

"Wait... if it's younger then why is Bakura buried here?" Tristan asked.

"Hey good question."

"I don't know. He was likely moved here. He probably wasn't buried here initially. Unless this is younger than his burial site." Yugi said lazily as he ran his fingers along the stone table.

"We can rest here." He added shortly before making himself comfortable on one of the stone chairs, stretching his legs out and leaning back on the high back of it. He was frowning and breathing harder than he normally did; his energy must have been draining from Him. He hasn't had enough time to recover yet.

Everyone else spread out, either taking seats themselves or looking around with intrigue. Atem touched the back of his hand to Yugis cheeks. His skin was burning against his surprisingly cool hands by comparison and he sighed, moving his face deeper into his hand for relief.

"Your burning up Yugi."

"I know. I'm trying to scare Bakura into behaving."

"I'm sorry you have to deal with him. He is on all accounts my responsibility. No thanks to me your in this mess. From the very beginning to now. I wish there was something else I could do to help take this burden off you."

"Soon enough we'll be rid of him and we can go back home and continue where we left off." Yugi winked at him, though it was difficult to follow his inclination with him appearing so weakened right now. Still he smiled sweetly. "Speaking of, have you told them?"

"I've told Joey. I haven't wanted to say anything in front of Bakura despite him seemingly knowing. I didn't want to give him the pleasure." Atem admitted.

"Yes. I've closed him off to most things but it seems he's been worming his way through more than I'd like. His favourite thing to do is to weaken the locks on my darkest doors. Without you within me the seal you placed on that door is gone, but my own defences are still in play. Still, the longer he's attached to me the weaker I feel them getting. I know I require his energy right now but I almost fear the trade off. I want to do this as quick as possible."

Atem squeezed his hand to lend him his strength, wanting so much to pull his head into his chest to cuddle but he hesitated, mostly because he couldn't shake the feeling Bakura was nearby.

"We're close to his body. Once it's found you just need to rest as long as you need to. You've done this before, i know you can do this again, but you need rest. I know your eager, but please listen to your body for once. If you think your decisions are something I would nag you about then please listen, just this once."

Yugi smiled and nodded, giggling quietly.

"I know. Don't be hasty. Perhaps I'll listen. Let's see how much he can not get on my nerves."