Chapter 28

Atem waited nervously nearby as Yugi chanted quietly to himself in Egyptian. He recognised the names of the gods he prayed to, imploring them to honor their bargain and provide him their power. As he chanted the words the lights began to flicker and power began to build around him to push his hair and clothes.

Once he promised blood as payment he took the knife and cut his palm, dripping the blood on each of the symbols around him. As he did so the chalk on the ground became red, flowing like rivers along a path until the entire symbol he had drawn tinted the room crimson. He continued to chant the same prayer over and over again and each time the symbol pulsed brighter and the electricity in the room grew until finally white light began to glow from the sarcophagus and Yugi seized, grunting in pain as the circle around him grew arms to hold him down. His breathing was sharp and ragged, he couldn't speak but he gritted his teeth, clenched his fists and squinted in concentration before picking up the chant again, one last time before the arms released him and the white light pulsed brightly, temporarily blinding them uuntil it died down.

Yugi relaxed, panting and sinking to his knees. Atem could feel his exhaustion, like his energy had been ripped from him. The gravity he felt was intense, like weights had been tied to him and threatened to pull him beneath the earths surface. Atem was on the brink of panic, worried for his well being and if he should continue. The moment had lasted only seconds but in those seconds Yugi's life energy had been robbed of such vitality that he feared he might pass out.

"Th-thats ... that part... done." Yugi pantied with much effort.

"Yugi you said earlier that the body should last a few days without a soul right? You don't have to do the next part right away, rest." Atem urged him.

He shook his head no as he shakily got to his feet, holding his hands out for balance as the world tipped and spun on him.

"No. The sooner we do this, the higher the chance your body will accept you. Besides... I don't have all day to do this." Yugi said breathlessly.

"Yugi..." Atem muttered quietly. He was so worried for him but they had come so far now and Yugi was determined... it was now or never. He knew this. "Whats next?"

"I need you to go within your soul room and stay there. You can listen in, even watch, but I need you to be within your room or part of you may stay with me." Yugi said.

Atem nodded, touching his cheek and kissing his forehead before retreating back to his room. Yugi appreciated the warmth greatly. He felt awfully cold now and even though he couldn't feel Atem's touch he could feel his affection and trust keeping his flame lit.

He approached the sarcophagus, knife in hand and touched Atem's body. The flesh filled the bandages and covered what was once exposed bone and skin. His body now held form and ever so slightly he felt the heartbeat in his chest. The body was alive but there was no soul within to keep it that way. He didn't have a lot of time before his body would shut down but he was glad that it worked. His body was here, alive and ready.

He took the knife, cut open the bandages across his face to free his nose and mouth so he could breath and loosened the bandages around his arms and chest before returning back to the circle to begin the next round of chanting.

This verse focused on praying to Anubis and the various gods of life and death and fertility. He begged them to aid him, to see his worth and devotion and recognise his humility. He told them he had been granted power over life and now sought to sew anew a soul that wished to reunite with its form. He asked them to open the way so that a travel once walked may be walked upon again and as he begged Anubis and Amun-Ra to see him he felt their hands surrounding him, blanketing him in white light and warmth.