Chapter 37

Atem had heard this scream before. When Leon almost killed him and Yugi was drifting between the plane of existence and the Veil, he had heard this scream. It seemed a lift time ago now and he had vowed never to hear this scream again; but now... Yugi's shriek threatened to tear down what remained of his palace, his reality as his soul was torn and ripped and purged of any trace of darkness tightly embedded inside it. This was the power of the Millenium Rod: the ultimate ability of control.

Yugi's demon; that confident and conniving little version of him, would be torn from him violently and without the proper use of the other items to ensure his safety, not even Atem knew what would be left of Yugi.

It took only moments, his screaming threatening to tear his voice box to pieces, but it lasted a life time. Even as his scream was silenced by the last of his shadow leaving him to form a silhouette above him, it rang true in their ears, embedded deep in their hearts.

Yugi's hands fell limply to his side as tears streamed down his lifeless eyes. His body steamed as if he'd been struck by lightning and heavily he fell face first onto the decaying rug beneath him. He didn't move, he barely breathed and all they could do was stand in stunned silence as Bakura's laughter roared.

"So this is the darkness that was born of little Yugi's heart eh? Who'd have thought that someone so innocent could harbour such power? Let us see it's true form then." Bakura sang happily as the golden barrier around Yugi shattered.

The shadowy cloud above him glided to the space between them and in a startling second it dispersed to reveal a slender man dressed in leathers, standing tall and proud. One clawed hand covered his face but through his fingers were piercing red eyes. His other hand held a shadowy blade behind him. He was poised like a dancer, like a duelist; only the way his fingers twitched before his face, the way his hooded robe turned to mist at his heeled boots, the cold hard stare of murderous red eyes; this man was more than he appeared and vastly different to the one he had met within Yugi's mind. The only familiar thing about him were his eyes, but even then, inside Yugi's mind he was confident to the point of arrogance... this man was nothing like the one he had met.

"He doesn't look as threatening as my Diabound, but I can tell you all for certain the power he contains is unlike anything even I have felt. I guess it's true what they say about small packages. Now... if the rod tells me true then your name is Silent Magician... curiously you keep the rest of your title just as silent. No matter... Silent Magician! You are mine now. Give our guests here a taste of your power!" Bakura commanded.

Obeying his command the Silent Magician raised his clawed hand and as he did Yugi's body lifted before him as if being held by his throat. Yugi didn't struggle, his hands didn't move and nor did he kick... he was alive Atem was sure of it but his lack of response worried him greatly.

For a moment the Silent Magician stared at him, almost as if searching deep within him. He held him high, red eyes locked onto vacant lavender but he did nothing else.

"Bakura that's enough! You've done enough harm to Yugi. Your gripe is with me! Let him go and you and I can settle this!" Atem demanded, desperate to make him release Yugi before the Silent Magician could hurt him more, or worse kill him.

"My gripe is with this world Pharoah, it merely begins with you. And now that I have the Silent Magician and Yugi's practically nothing, as are you. Reshaping this world will be easy now and with the Silent Magician beside my Diabound there is nothing you can do to stop me!" Bakura shouted victoriously.

In a second the Silent Magician threw Yugi violently, tossing him away like he was garbage. He flew at an alarming speed against a golden pillar, cracking it right through to land and slide heavily against the golden tiles until he rolled to a still stop.

"YUGI!" They screamed.

Atem was first to reach him, turning him around to rest his head on his knee as he checked his vitals. He was alive but barely awake. His breathing was shallow and his skin was sunken, his eyes still lifeless as he stared blankly to the space before them.

"Yugi, look at me. Look at me. Talk to me." Atem urged him as he moved his head, brushing his hair from his face and stroking his cheek. He didn't respond at all though. It was almost like he wasn't even there, like he was unconscious or ... dead. "Yugi say something!" Atem ordered him.

He was beyond angry at this point. He wanted to rip Bakura to shreds and worse. His mind was racing with creative ideas of torture for what he had done to Yugi but he had no choice but to contain his rage if he wanted to take Yugi out of here.

"We can't stay here. We have to take him and go!" Tea said quickly.

"Right. Atem can you lead the way?" Joey asked him as he took Yugi from him, carrying him in his arms before Atem could stop him.

He nodded begrudgingly before they needed to move from a shadowy ball of powerful smoke racing towards them. They weren't out of danger yet and while Bakura still breathed Atem would get his chance to punish him.

His laughter followed them out of the Hall as they ducked and weaved between shadowy attacks until finally they were out of sight but not out of danger.

They ran, following Atem instinctive direction until they found themselves leaving the Palace through a secret exit. He expected Bakura to have a search party for them but Bakura didn't know his Palace as well as Atem did. He used to use this exit as a child to sneak out with Mana and there were half a dozen more like this one they could use. This one would take them straight past the inner walls so all they needed to do was make for the jet where they might be able to get Yugi some medical help.

As soon as they were inside they set Yugi down on the long leather couch as Kaiba ordered Mokuba to take off immediately.

"What are we going to do?" Tea asked desperately. Atem held Yugi's hand to his lips, holding back tears with everything he had. He was almost completely lifeless, save the feint rise and fall of his chest as air silently passed through his slightly pursed lips. Even his skin was cold. He vowed to destroy Bakura. Every ounce of him was beyond redemption. He would absolutely destroy him if it took everything he had to do so.

"Yugi needs help. We should take him to a hospital." Tristan suggested.

"My medical staff is top of the line, better than any treatment a city hospital can offer. We're going back home -" Kaiba announced.

"Bakura's still free. He's got the Silent Magician, Diabound and the Millenium Items. We can't just turn tail and run!" Joey pointed out angrily.

"I don't care. We got Yugi, we're going home." Kaiba argued.

"We can't let Bakura get away with this. Besides, look at him Kaiba! What can your medical staff even do for Yugi like this. Physically he's bruised and beaten but this... this state he's in can't be fixed by a bandaid!" Joey snapped.

The words stung, cutting deeply. Atem knew he was right. Yugi's mind was shattered. He had his demon ripped from him without his heart being prepared for the separation. If Yugi was still inside, then no medical staff could bring him out. He would need to repair himself in time... if one could even recover from this. He shuttered; he didn't want to think of the possibility that he was lost forever but he needed to face this reality.

"What about Marik and Ishizu? They're the only other experts on the Millenium Items, the only other ones Yugi trusted enough with his knowledge on them. They might know of a way to save him, or at least how to stop Bakura." Tea suggested.

"That Eygptian fortune teller-" Kaiba began but was rudely cut off by Atem.

"May be our ONLY chance right now." He stood, releasing Yugi's hand to face Kaiba with such ferocity that even he, for the first time, saw his authority. "I won't be able to duel you with things the way they are. Yugi's practically gone and Bakura needs to be stopped. I appreciate your assistance Kaiba, but I will not be doing anything else unless it serves to either help Yugi or destroy Bakura."

Kaiba sighed, shrugging.

"Fine. Mokuba, find the Ishizu woman. Arrange a meeting." Kaiba ordered before he left to a different compartment of the jet.