Chapter 22

Yugi brought them back out to the real world and Atem was now spectral again... it was amazing how quickly he missed the touch of his body and how easily he could stay within his mind so long as he could be with him.

Yugi sighed inwardly, pushing the thoughts from his mind... now wasn't the time to get sad that he couldn't, but to be happy that they were so close. He dried himself down, careful to pat down the water on his ribs. His physical body was a lot more sore than his minds version of him... he hadn't even realised that during all of that he wasn't in any pain at all... now that he was in real life the aching in his ribs restricted him somewhat.

Atem floated behind him, watching him in the mirror with love and concern as he watched his partner pat down the deep bruise spanning wider than his hand now. The bruise had expanded beyond the bandage he had been keeping on but it was starting to yellow now, except in the middle where it was still black and purple. The stitches from the surgery were practically closed now, it was mostly just the massive bruise now... it looked so painful and Atem was glad he didn't hurt him while he was being forceful with him.

"Does it hurt?" Atem asked.

"A bit... I'd forgotten about it until now to be honest." Yugi said quietly. "I wish we could stay within our minds where there's no pain and just us."

"Me too... feeling you touch and your heartbeat, your breath against my skin... just feeling you with me is a sensation I can't get enough of. I'd give anything to be able to hold you outside of your mind." Atem said against him, hugging him deeply despite not actually touching him.

Yugi's heart pulled... he wanted that too...

"It... might not be so farfetched an idea." Yugi said quietly.

Atem pulled away from him and Yugi turned to face him, leaning against the vanity with a towel around his waist.

"I might have a way to give you your body back." Yugi finished.

Atems eyes widened and he blinked, as if registering what he'd heard... trying to figure out if he'd misheard him.

"I'm sorry... you said what?"

"My research has lead me to believe that there's a way to revitalise a deceased body so long as every condition is met and all components are accounted for. I believe I have everything I need now ... I just need you on board with it."

"Is this what you were referring to earlier?"

"Yes."

Atem was silent... thinking... he had a lot to explain but for now he was just comprehending the idea of having his body back.

"How?"

"I need the Millenium Items."

"You're talking what Pegasus tried to do right?"

"Yes but Pegasus never would have succeeded. He didn't know what I do and I've been working on this for years. Not specifically this but it's a great deal part of my expertise."

"Tell me the details."

Yugi nodded and grabbed a dry towel to drape over his shoulders, leaving the bathroom to grab a journal from his study before retiring to his bedroom where he made himself comfortable in bed. Atem sat cross legged on his bed too, facing him and waiting.

"In the event that Pegasus obtained all Millenium Items he would have only succeeded in bringing back a shell of a human, it might not even have been Cecilia and regardless it would have only lived for about 3 days before expiring. This is primarily why bringing people back from the dead with the Millenium Items is impossible.