Chapter 31

Touching down in Cairo and leaving the airport was smooth enough. They insisted on staying near Bakura no matter how often he attempted to keep some distance from them. Though during the flight he seemed to find some sick pleasure in making Atem jealous by flirting with Tea. In the end Joey and Tristan sat on either side of him while Tea sat close to Atem instead. This happened only after Bakura had placed his hand on her lap, forcing Yugi to take control and excuse himself to the bathroom for a while.

Once they were free of too many rushing people they set out to hire a jeep using Yugis position as an archaeologist to search the deserts but as Tristan would be driving Bakura was forced to agree to rest at a hotel for the night.

He had suggested going on ahead, that he didnt need the rest but he couldnt deny that the sooner Yugis body rested the sooner he could be free of him.

They were at the checkout deciding on rooms when Bakura thought to be cheeky again, suggesting that he and the Pharoah share a private room together but much to Atems frustration with him they agreed to get two rooms: one for Tristan and Tea and the other for Bakura, Atem and Joey.

So now it was sunset. They had had dinner and were settling down, ready to rest after the journey theyve had. From their balcony Atem looked out over Egypt the same way he had done as Pharoah. He could see much less now than he had back then, but the sunset offered a spectacular view of the pyramids and the vast desert beyond the river. This brought back memories... coupled with Bakura sharing the same room as them he felt saddened that he wasn't sharing this sight with Yugi.

"You're out of your time Pharoah." Bakura said beside him, startling him from his thoughts. He dared not show it though, merely frowning in annoyance. All day he had been getting under his skin for sheer enjoyment. He couldn't wait to be rid of the wretch once and for all.

"What do you want Bakura?" Atem growled.

"Simply to bask in our countries light same as you. Before long I'll be able to feel it's warmth on my own skin once again. And when that day comes I'll finally have nothing weighing me down or getting in my way, I'll be able to end you and your little counterpart and reclaim this land for my own."

"How do you intend to accomplish that? This land isn't governed by Pharoah's anymore and nor do they bow down to our gods. They won't accept a nobody like you demanding power. And thats exactly what you will be Bakura, nobody. Just like I technically am."

"A fresh start then ey? No one need know of our history Pharoah but a clean start allows us to shape our future. Perfect for a criminal of my calibre wouldn't you say?"

"That's if we don't put you down first."

"We'll see. I understand it took you some time to awaken... I wonder which one of us is stronger. Though, if Yugi's memories serve me correctly, it stands to reason to believe that perhaps I am stronger." Bakura taunted him.

"What does that mean?"

Bakura smirked wickedly using Yugi's innocent own lips and stepped towards him, placing a hand on the rail either side of him to box him in.

"I've seen the way you two interract, your relationship goes beyond mere companionship doesn't it? I wonder, does having this body so close to you turn you on or does it make you writhe? I'm good with either one so long as you squirm-" Bakura said but winced sharply and backed away from him in an instant.

Atem stared at him in confusion, watching as Bakura's face changed to one of absolutely irritation as he stared off into space. Yugi must have been there telling him off.

"It seems you got yourself in trouble. Don't think because you're in control that it's just the two of us Bakura." Atem said smugly.

Bakura tsk'd in annoyance before wincing again. He wasn't sure what Yugi was doing to him but it worked like an electric shock. He seemed to give in though and walked away without a word.

Sighing he relaxed somewhat. He was glad Yugi was still around, even if he couldn't see or speak to him. He couldn't wait for this to be over and they could finally be together.

"Hey... what was that?" Joey asked as he came to join him.

"He was getting a bit too close so I think Yugi put him in his place." Atem shrugged.

"Well he's locked himself in the bathroom now. The window in there is too small for even Yug to climb through. Are you okay?"

"Yes... the sooner this is over the better."

"I agree. It creeps me out knowing thats not Yug in there. I can't believe we're actually helping Bakura get his body back."

"If it's any consolation we're not doing this for him, we're doing this for Yugi."

"Yeah... speaking of... Bakura's been making these obscure comments..."

Atem blinked, blushed and then smiled to himself. He hadn't told them yet despite getting permission from Yugi... he wanted to wait for him regardless but he supposed now was as good a time as any.

"Yes... Bakura has a way with words. As awful a person as he is one thing that we can't deny is he's honest. There's truth behind his jibes. We wanted to tell everyone together but with how things have been...shortly before Yugi gave me my body back our relationship grew to something more. We're closer than ever and yet right now, incredibly far apart. I want to get him back, of course I do... but there are more reasons than just making sure he's not in the clutches of evil. I want him back because I want to be with him, together, as partners and perhaps more. I want to spend the rest of my life with him as something more than just close friends."

"Ohhhh.... Wow! I had no idea you two were dat close! I mean it makes sense but wow... congrats man! Yugi did well to keep this a secret. Before you got your body back? You mean... when you were a spirit still you and he ... ummm... You know..."

"...Yes... I won't go into details but we are very very close." Atem blushed deeply but so did Joey at the thought. He laughed nervously as he brushed his hair back.

"Well grats man. Don't worry, even if you two weren't a thing we'll be doing everything we can to get our little man back."

"Right."