Chapter 39

"Alright. So recap the plan." Joey said as they stood under shelter in the city square, watching as balls of fire rained from the sky, crashing into buildings, setting trees alight and destroying roads. People ran, screaming for their lives in panic and terror. The only ones remaining calm: Atem and his friends.

"Weren't you listening Wheeler!" Kaiba said in annoyance.

"Enough!" Atem barked at them. "We need to find the Silent Magician. Joey, Kaiba and I will find and distract Bakura. Tea, Tristan and Ishizu will protect Yugi while Marik, Odion, and Mokuba will lure the Magician to Yugi. Once Yugi is whole again we can destroy Bakura for good."

"I don't like the idea of you ordering me and my brother around." Kaiba said.

"If you prefer to stay back while Mokuba joins me to fight Bakura then by all means Kaiba." Atem said snarkily, to which Kaiba hmphed and ignored him.

"I'm putting you all in grave danger. The risks here are exceedingly high. If you would prefer to seek safety then I completely understand and ask you to say so now." Atem continued.

"The danger is very high, but this is for Yugi. He'd do the same for us and we all already owe him for one thing or another. We're with you Pharoah." Marik said strongly. Everyone aside from Kaiba nodded in agreement, standing firm beside him.

"Lets find us a Magician." Joey said happily.

Atem put his hand to his heart and called forth to his most trusted ally and faithful servant: Mahaad, the Dark Magician. In seconds he appeared before them, glowing brightly and kneeling in respect to him.

"My Pharoah. It has been long but I am at your command." He said strongly. Ever the faithful. How he missed him.

"Mahaad. My friend. It has been long. There is little time to explain but I need you to protect my friends in my stead. Bakura has risen, and he has in his command a Magician that is very powerful. My friends need to find this Magician and return him to Yugi. Do not destroy him, but please protect them. Help them lure the Magician back to where he belongs." Atem ordered him.

"As my Pharoah commands, so it is done." He bowed his head.

It didn't take them long to find Bakura as the closer they got to them the more destructive the city became and more vacant of innocents as they had already fled.

They found him laughing as the Silent Magician lay waste to several police cars, tossing them around like juggling balls before throwing them into buildings. They were empty but the destruction didn't seem to amuse the Magician much. He seemed to sense their presence and turned to face them, staring at them deeply. His burning red eyes pierced their souls, robbing them of their heat and courage. Bakura noticed and with such arrogance welcomed them with open arms.

"Well this is magnificent. This Magicians power is simply thrilling. I can see why you favour your magics so much Pharoah. I see you brought yours out to play as well, but so many against one monster is hardly fair... allow me to even the playing field and welcome my own. DIABOUND!" Bakura shouted loudly.

In moments, out of the shadows behind him emerged his great beast. His white scales reflected the fire surrounding him, his wings spread threateningly wide and his long serpent tail curled around Bakura as if protecting him. He was much larger than the Silent Magician and far more terrifying to behold, but as Atem compared the two he somehow felt the Magician was stronger. He didn't even seem to acknowledge Diabounds presence... in fact as he followed the Magicians gaze he noted he was fixed soley on Yugi perched upon Tristans back. This was good... Bakura hadn't noticed the Magician cared not for him and his attention was already drawn to Yugi...