Chapter 13

The afternoon was beautiful as the sun set on the city. The towers and roofs of houses were lit orange, the shade cast from them a deep blue and the cool breeze felt like autumn on their skin. They walked at a very casual pace down the street, eating their ice creams in a cup without any care. Yugi loved this... he'd been taken to doing this as often as he could between trips. The walk around the city with a friend beside him was advice from his councillor years ago and icecream was just a nice incentive to do so. He and his friends did enough exercise to work it off so for the last several years this was their thing, be it with Tea, Joey, Tristan and on occasion Duke or Bakura. Yugi explained this to Atem as they walked and he could feel his warmth coming from him upon hearing the story.

"Oh hey! This is where we got the Ouija board." Tea said, stopping at a store with more windchimes than any one building should ever own, and lost of coloured silks and scarfs, dangling jewellery and strong incense coming from inside.

"Wanna check it out?" She asked.

"I got time." Yugi shrugged.

He followed her in and was immediately greeted by the strongest scent of some form of flower... he was almost knocked out but after a moment he became accustomed to it, despite it watering his eyes and tickling his nose.

They greeted the owner, who was pleasantly reading a book besides a radio. When she saw Yugi though he eyes grew wide and she closed her book.

"Yugi Moto correct? Ms. Gardner this is the reason you purchased the Ouija board yesterday?" She asked. Her accent was strong but she seemed pleasant enough, even if she knew his name.

"It is, yes." Tea smiled.

"I trust I don't need to ask if it worked. I can see the spirit that follows you." She said as she whisped around her counter.

"You can?" Yugi asked nervously. This was not normal... could she be trusted? No one should be able to see Atem but him...

"Do not fear. I am but a humble medium. Though I must say in my years of serving the spirits I have never met one quite so strong. You are fortunate to have him protecting you." She said as she took his hand in both of hers. She gasped upon doing so and he wanted to pull back but her grasp was firm... yet her hands were cold, soft... he felt no malice come from her.

"You died recently. That is why he has attached himself to you. Until recently he had departed from this world but your passing pulled him to your side. I sense a strong connection between you that could test time with ease." She said.

"Umm... Tea?" Yugi asked nervously.

"Her names Ms. Shang. She's lovely, I come here often enough. My mum is crazy about crystals." Tea said reassuringly.

Ms. Shang released him, bowing deeply in respect.

"I'm sorry. How rude of me. I did not mean to impose... it's just such a delight to be greeted by such a strong connection. I commune with spirits often enough, performing seances and exorcists and the like, giving comfort to those who have lost someone, but you are a rare case indeed. This spirit, under normal circumstances, I would say haunts you... he is connected to your soul only poltergeists usually do... but he protects and guides you, more like a guardian angel... this is exceptionally rare and usually only present in times of need... this is what makes it such a delight... he is attached to you by choice and serves not to torment but to protect.... This is incredible." She beamed.

Yugi and Atem both relaxed, sensing nothing but good intentions from her, but still they were on guard. It was strange she could see him... Yugi had seen a lot in his day, much he wouldn't believe if he hadn't been involved, but despite all this he reserved the right to be sceptic about mediums and fortune tellers unless they could provide something he could not explain with logic... she fit the bill right now.