Chapter 24

"Take that over there and be sure to run it by Hanson afterwards. Sam, gloves on please!" Yugi ordered various people around as they prepared the Mesopatamian exhibit for the weekend. He was waiting for the replica delivery to arrive but until then he thought he would help Hanson with his exhibit. Atem watched, floating nearby but careful to stay out of Yugi's peripheral while he worked. He seemed to not notice he was being watching but this made it all the more fun for Atem to watch.

Yugi had a lot of sway here. He had noticed this the first time he came here with him, but to see him give orders and directions was a thrill. He reminded him of a true king. He felt so relieved to see him in such control; he wasn't entirely sure why but he supposed it was because he was even more sure that he would have been fine while he slept. He knew that of course but seeing was believing.

"Dr. Moto to receiving. Dr. Moto to receiving." They heard a voice call over the PA system.

"This goes with the fertilitu team and tell Hanson im out for half an hour." Yugi told the young man he was talking to before he walked away with purpose towards Recieving.

"This is it." He told Atem internally as he floated beside him. He was excited. Atem could feel his energy bubbling beneath his skin and he couldn't help but share in his enthusiasm. Yugis happiness was contagious after all.

He met a man at the receiving dock as a small team started unloading a lock wooden sealed crate. Inside would be his replica... It would have to be believable, likely made of something that even felt like mummified body. He couldn't deny the morbid curiosity of how it turned out especially in such a quick time.

"Okay let's get him open." Yugi said once they unloaded the nakeshift coffin to the ground.

"Here?"

"I want to see how it came out before i accept it. No one knows the real body like i do." Yugi explained.

Atem blushed but pushed it away quickly as the team lifted tje lid and slid it gently down. Yugi ensured his gloves were on tightly before bending over to touxh and prod at the fake corpse inside. Atem floated overhead to peer at his replica. Wrappings were worn and frayed in places, long since losing their pristine condition. Any bones he could see were darkened with dust and dirt and his skin was dried to perfectly contour with the bones they wrapped around. He was laid to rest with his hands over his chest, tightly clasping an Ankh and Rod. His jewellery on his fingers shined brightly, bearing minute scratches from every day wear and his headpiece was now too large fot his skull but looked almost brand new in comparison. It certainly looked believable. If Atrm didny know better hed have said it was him. He even remembered the jewellery it wore and im fact was wearing them now as he floated above.

Yugi remained silent thiugh as he felt the body in places, running his hands along the neck, feeling the chest and measuring the hips.

"This should do. I don't think anyone save an expert will tell the difference." Yugi said finally as he took his gloves off.

"How is it Moto?" Mr. Owoi asked as he approached them.

"Sir. It's excellent. I can tell the difference but the public shouldn't. It's believable." Yugi said to him cheerfully.

"There's a difference?" Atem asked him quietly but Yugi ignored him.

"Alright. Put it in section 23Z and make sure to seal it back up." Mr. Owoi ordered the men before he and Yugi went for a walk.

"The Nameless King should be here on schedule. I just got off the phone with Ms. Ishtar. She's happy to have the replica replace the real body but she's asking if that's the case why they need to transfer Pharoah at all. I told her you needed to inspect it yourself but she raises a good point Yugi."

"I'd like to have it here during the exhibit even if its not on show just in case the replica doesnt take. Id thought of that too. If it goes well without a hitch then ill send the real back to Cairo while the fake goes on tour." Yugi explained.

"I see. Thats fair. How is everything else coming along?"

"As expected. Everything's accounted for and being prepared as we speak. I'm all caught up and actually going to be bringing back some reserved work on Monday."

"Are you just?" Mr. Owoi asked, clearly amused.

"Yeah. I kinda have to keep busy at the moment." Yugi said.

"Understandable. Considering how close you came to becoming an exhibit recently. Are you sure you don't need any time off?"

"That's the last thing I need right now sir. Id rather keep working." Yugi said.

"Okay. Well I'm not complaining. After all the work you've been doing lately. That presentation for the focus you gave us is brilliant."

"Right? If the boys in Syria can find any more that might be from the same craftsman id be interested in taking a look." Yugi said pleasantly.

"I'll let Hanson know. Have you seen Leon lately?"

"I'm... no sir. Not since he came back." Yugi answered.

"I haven't been able to contact him. If you talk to him please tell him to contact me."

"Of course."

"Alright well I'll leave you to it. See you later Moto."

"Good day sir."

Once he was far enough away Yugi let out a tired yet relieved sigh.

"Seems your friend is laying low." Atem said to him, though he growled the word friend.

"As long as he stays quiet until after Monday." Yugi said quietly.

"So what's next?" Atem asked.

"I get out the items on Sunday. We make the switch Monday." Yugi said as he walked away.

"We are free today and tomorrow."

"Everything's going to plan?"

"Yep. Almost a little too well."

"What's wrong?"

"I just ... have this feeling. The replica is perfect. Owoi suspects nothing. Leon is remaining quiet. Your body is on schedule and the items remain untouched."

"So where's the knife?" Atem asked.

"Exactly." Yugi sighed. "Maybe I'm over thinking. I just want this to go right."

Atem touched his shoulder lovingly and pressed his head to his.

"One step at a time. We will get through anything life can throw at us together, right?" Atem asked warmly.

"Yes." Yugi smiled. The sparkle in Atems deep violet eyes soothed his mind, bringing his anxiety back down to ground level and lifting his spirits. He was right. Whatever happened they'd get through it together.