Chapter 14

As they said goodnight and went up stairs Atem was animatedly excited about each of their friends obtaining a gem; the idea that they would be able to communicate with him without stealing his body or using single words on the board? He felt invigorated when Tea could see him and as he talked, he became even more convinced to search through his notes he brought home. So far he was doing well to keep his intentions secret from him, he's just need to wait until Atem would sleep tonight but he had things to do before then. Considering he didn't get much rest earlier, he expected Atem would rest before he did though.

And... as expected, he did. He insisted Yugi try to sleep but when he refused, he insisted staying up with him... and he tried but come after midnight he was exhausted and drifted off into his room silently.

Yugi was tired... he admitted that but this was his only chance to research in privacy. And so closing the door to his office he buckled down, with nothing but a desk lamp lighting his journals.

He stayed up for 3 more hours, writing down theories and drawing diagrams, collecting notes and hypothesising... he hadn't visited these notes in years but in that time he hadn't learned anything new... except... perhaps Ms. Chang may know of something he didn't... something he might be missing.

And then it occurred to him... if he was going to go through with this research then he didn't have a lot of time to perform it... In two weeks the Nameless King exhibition would be showcasing at the museum before it moves on to New York next month... if he was going to act then he had 6 weeks to do so... he didn't exactly have the cash on him to fly out to New York nor did he have a job in the US claim a business trip...

I have 6 weeks...

"6 weeks for what?" He heard Atem's deep voice somewhat behind him, hoarse with sleep and quiet with fatigue. He closed his journals immediately and spun to face him.

"An exhibition. The Nameless King will be in town in 2 weeks and on display for 4 weeks after that, which means I have about 6 weeks to organise shipment over to New York." Yugi lied convincingly. Atem was so tired though that he didn't detect it.

"Oh... the Nameless King..." He mulled the words a while as Yugi turned off the light and walked past him. "Wait thats me." Atem followed him.

"Well done. Yes." Yugi giggled as he entered the bathroom.

"Wait... what time is it?"

"About 4 am... I'm going to bed now don't worry." Yugi smiled as he prepared his toothbrush.

"4 am... Yugi why did you stay up this late?"

"I had worf do do." He said as he brushed his teeth.

"Do you often stay up this late?"

"Mmhmm." Yugi nodded.

Once he was done and wiping himself dry he went to go change.

"My work often leaves me pulling all nighters. I'm kind of used to it." He said as he unbuttoned his shirt, revealing the bandages still firmly in place around his chest. He'd probably need to change them tomorrow... he wondered how large the bruise was underneath... he could feel it but the bandage covered everything.

"I suppose you've always been one to stay up late. What with insomnia and all." Atem relaxed, seemingly convincing himself.

"Why are you awake? I didn't wake you did I?" Yugi asked him.

"No... I didn't sleep very well, sensed you were still awake so I came to see you."

"Is everything okay?" Yugi asked again as he slipped on his sleeping shorts.