#37 Meeting the parents

When my birthday finally arrives, I wake up feeling horrible. Nathan isn't with me, since it's his week with Rose, and my bed feels empty without him in it. The fact that the feeling of doom engulfs me today like it always does on my birthday makes me wish he was here even more than I normally do. Still, I just ignore that today is the day that my mother almost died twenty-five years ago. I drag myself out of bed, get ready swiftly and walk to school like I always do. No one there knows that it's my birthday, so I can spend all day pretending that it's not the most horrible day of the year. It's just a normal Wednesday.

Of course, it doesn't really work like that in my line of work. Kids are perceptive. Way more perceptive than adults, if you ask me. They sense that I'm having an off day. Sometimes when I don't feel great some kids use that to their advantage and try to get out of doing stuff they don't want to, but today is different. They are all very sweet to me and even the Thompson twins don't try anything. Rose even comes over to hug me right before the lunch break.

"What's wrong?" I ask her when she keeps hugging me, way longer than a normal hug would last.

"When I'm sad, you always hug me," she explains, her arms still around me. "And it always makes me feel a little better."

"Are you sad?" I ask, wondering what is going on with her. Trevor is still in jail and his case is going to be presented in a month, so surely she can't be worried about him hurting her anymore, right?

"No," Rose tells me. She pulls back a little so she can look at me. "I'm hugging you because you look sad."

I immediately tear up and hug her close to me for another moment before I let her go and tell her that I'm fine. It's no secret where she got her perceptive nature from. That's all Nathan. And those are damn good genes to have.

I make it through the day, actually feeling better after that healing hug from Rose. It's ridiculous that I need to be comforted by a second grader, but at least I feel more myself and actually have some fun with the kids after lunch. The Thompson twins try to pull a few pranks by the end of the day, so I must be acting like my normal self again.

When I get home from work a little earlier than usual, Nathan is already chilling on my couch, watching TV. He winks at me when I come in. He's still in his work suit, although his jacket is hanging over a chair and his tie is on the table. He looks cute with his disheveled hair and wrinkled white shirt, the top buttons undone. We chat for a moment, but I am eager to hop in the shower before cuddling up to him. I helped Tiffany clean out a few closets full of old art projects and I feel like there's dust and glitter sticking to every single part of my body.

Once I'm clean and in some sweats and one of Nathan's shirts, it's my time to watch TV while he cleans the day off of him. He gives me a kiss before heading into the bathroom and I have to bite my lip to keep myself from telling that I love him. It's still too soon. I'm just so happy to have him here, even though I'm not in the best of moods.

He hasn't mentioned my birthday yet and I trust that he'll keep his promise to treat tonight like and other night. Well, not exactly like any other night, since he'll be sleeping over even though it's his week with Rose. Elise was eager to get Rose an extra night, although Nathan had to lie about the reason for needing her to watch Rose during his week with her. He couldn't exactly tell her he was sleeping with their kid's teacher. I hate that he has to be away from his daughter, yet I'm glad that he's choosing me tonight. It shows how considerate he is.

When Nathan is loudly singing Sweet Caroline in the shower, the bell rings. I drag myself to the front door, praying it's not Annabel. We've been avoiding each other ever since that awkward talk and today is not a good time to stir shit up.