#41 Cursing my luck

It's over an hour later when we finally pour out of the uber we ordered and make our way into the brand-new club that opened just a week ago. Even Shaughna hasn't been here yet, but of course Dshawn already knows the owner, the DJ and two of the bartenders. That guy lives for nights like this. It's weird that he and Danny have basically the same kind of IT job, since Dshawn is the least nerdy person I know. Danny however is class A nerd with his black trimmed reading classes and love for science fiction novels. Not that Danny doesn't know how to party – we had a lot of fun back in college – but never like Dshawn.

I shake memories of my ex from my mind and let Shaughna pull me straight to the dance floor. She's already buzzed from all the beers she consumed back at her place. Tiffany has rosy cheeks as well, but I am still stone cold sober. I only had half a beer and I actually prefer it that way. The flashing lights and booming music are enough to set me into a dance frenzy. Anyone who sees me jump around with my friends will presume I am drunk since my moves are just as erratic as theirs.

Dshawn spots a few buddies of his and they join us, taking us three girls with hungry eyes. Immediately, Dshawn pulls Shaughna close, marking his territory. She catches my eyes and winks at me. She's always liked her guys territorial and a little jealous. Dshawn is an easygoing guy and he was never possessive with me, but he certainly is with her. It's cute as hell and I'm happy for her.

Dshawn's friends are obviously not impressed with me – might be because my dress falls over my knees and doesn't have a plunging neckline – but Tiffany certainly turns some heads tonight. She's not even in a dress, but her skintight silver skinny jeans and neon pink crop top that shows off her perfectly toned belly sure do the trick. She got some extensions a week earlier and touched up her dark roots, so her blonde hair is longer and flowing down her back in perfect waves. If I was a guy, my head would turn for her too.

Tiffany isn't convinced about them yet, though, so she spends at least half an hour dancing with me while eying the guys as they dance, deciding if one of them tickles her fancy. Dshawn easily has the best dance moves of all of us, but his friends aren't too shabby either. If I was still single, I'd be grinding against one of them by now. But I'm not and honestly, I'm not as into dancing and drinking as I thought I'd be. I still miss Nathan.

"Be right back!" I yell in Tiff's air, pushing her to the tall black guy next to us. I met him a few times before and he's the nicest of the bunch if you ask me. "You go dance with Aston!"

She hesitates a moment, but Aston sure doesn't. His hands are on her hips in and instant and pulls her back to his chest, grinding against her from behind as his fingers dig into her bare skin. I throw her a wink before taking off to get some fresh air.

Okay, I'm not just getting fresh air. I'm obviously sneaking a cigarette that I bummed from Dshawn earlier tonight and there might be something else I want to do now that I'm outside, leaning against the wall near the bouncer and a few other smokers. I want to call Nathan.

"Hey!" he sounds sleepy, but there's a smile in his voice as well. "Don't tell me you're already in bed. I thought you were going out like there's no tomorrow."

I grin and take a drag of my cigarette before answering. "Actually, I snuck out for a moment. I miss you."

"You're out with your friends and you're out in the cold night to call your boyfriend?" Nathan laughs. "That's so cute. I thought you were the young fun one in this relationship."

"I am," I tease right back. "Don't think you're fooling me, Nathanial. You sound like I woke you up from a good night's sleep that probably started around 9 pm. Grandpa."

"Grandpa? Really? That's a kinky nickname, Caroline, even for you."

"Ewwww." I crunch up my nose and can't help but wish that I was with him to not just hear him laugh but to see it as well. "I miss you."