#55 Angelo the Italian stallion

Five hours in a car with Nathan could have been a fun time to get to know each other even better, but we're both too nervous to talk much. Nathan has been unable to think about anything but the fact that Trevor's trial is starting in a few days and I'm dreading meeting Angelo, afraid that I won't get him to approve of me.

It is good to know that even though we don't feel like talking, we are still able to be there for each other. There's no one I'd rather have with me, no matter what my mood is. Since we're mostly speeding down an almost empty highway, he's got his hand on my thigh for most of the drive and just that little bit of contact comforts me more than anything. I've hooked my phone up to the sound system in Nathan's fancy car and my favorite songs are blasting through the small room. I'm singing along, making Nathan smile from time to time when I do a weird shimmy dance even though I'm strapped into my seat firmly. I can tell that he's just as happy to have me with him during this stressful time.

"Okay," I finally sigh when the navigation app on my phone alerts me that we're only twenty minutes away from Angelo's place. "Is there anything I need to know about Angelo and Gina before you throw me into the lion's cage?"

He's already told me that Angelo is 42 and Gina is 39. They have a little girl that's 3 and a boy that turned 8 last week, so he's in second grade just like Rose. Angelo's parents were both born in Italy and Gina is half Italian, half American. He's a carpenter and she's an interior designer. They earn some extra cash by flipping houses whenever they stumble onto a great opportunity. Even though they are great at it and are able to reduce costs by doing almost everything themselves, they don't want to do a project like that too often because apparently, they are known for their epic fights and flipping a house means spending even more time together than they normally do, which doesn't always end well.

Nathan told me that the neighbors once called the cops on them because they'd been screaming at each other all night long. According to Nate they never get violent and they love each other more than life itself, but I'm more than a little glad that I'm not in a relationship like that. I've had my fair share of grief with my exes, but I never got into screaming matches with them that caused the neighbors to take such drastic action.

"I already told you know all you need to know," Nathan assures me. "Some of the things I told you may not sound that great, but they truly are great people. Gina will try to make you feel welcome even if Angelo won't. She's the only person he will listen to when he gets all stubborn and proud. Without her, I don't think he would know what to do with himself."

We chat for a few more minutes before we both fall silent again. Only a few more minutes and I'll be face to face with both of Nathan's best friends and their wives. When I moved out of my parents' house in October, I never thought that come February, I would be in this situation. When I glance at Nathan and see him smile at me, I know that there's nowhere I'd rather be.

When we arrive, it is so dark that it's hard to see where I'm going. For once, I'm allowing Nathan to be the perfect gentleman because I can really use his help getting out of the car and to the front door. Why the hell am I wearing heels? Well, I know why. It's the same reason I'm wearing a pretty dress and did my hair and make-up. It's insane to look this good just to sit in the car for five straight hours on a Friday night, but I want to make a good first impression.

"Nate!" A small woman with enormous breasts and bright red curls opens the door and immediately throws her arms around Nathan. "Oh, it's been too long! We're so glad you decided to come." Her million watt smile almost blinds me when she turns her attention to me. "And you must be Caroline. I've been dying to meet you ever since Nathan told us about you. I'm Gina, obviously."

I awkwardly hug her back when she presses me against her. I'm not tall, not at all, but I tower over her and it's not just because I'm wearing heels. She's a tiny little thing, although she's got curves that make it obvious that she's a lot older than she appears from her size alone. When she leans back, I notice that her face betrays her age as well. Not that she looks old, but she does look 39.