37 | Butterflies

Thank you @amalierixen for the poster!  Is this Millie, Luke and Jake?  Or Millie, Luke and Austin??

Chapter 37: Butterflies

My nerves were rattling me like a chilly day.

I held onto my math notes until my thumb smudged the ink. Joe told me to type them up, but I didn't listen. Now I had wrinkled, smudged notes.

Today had been a struggle. A real elephant training to use a tricycle type of struggle.

I barely had any sleep last night and I didn't make my daily pilgrimage to the Coffee Bean this morning. What a sin.

I was worried of competing against other mathletes. I was scared I'd be making a fool of myself... the raccoon knows it wouldn't be the first time.

A minute or two later, my phone rang and I was surprised to hear his voice on the other end, "Minnie, where are you?"

"Aren't you meant to be in class?" I asked, still surprised it was him.

"I'm taking a bathroom break," he answered, "A very long one. So, where are you?"

"The cafeteria."

**

I saw Luke walk through the wide cafeteria doors, exuding his natural confidence. He flashed a smile when he saw me, and it calmed me right down.

I tried not to smile at what his teacher will think of Luke's long bathroom break... would she know he was ditching or think he was very constipated?

Luke walked over and sat across from me, sliding my notes towards himself.

I almost pinched myself to stop staring. It strikes me sometimes how perfect he looks to me. His lips that easily rise into a smile. His gentle eyes that betray more emotion than he every would want them to.

"How can I help?" he offered, lifting his hoodie.

The pull of his hoodie lifted his shirt and I saw a glimpse of his flat stomach before his white shirt fell back loosely over his body.

"Are you good at math?" I asked in return.

He laughed.

So that's a no.

"I'm filling out my physical evaluation form," I told him, "I need to submit a new form since I'm rejoining the club."

"Physical?" he repeated, "Isn't that for athletes?"

"The school technically considers us a sport," I mumbled, embarrassed by how ridiculous that sounded, "Mathletes have the word 'athlete' in their name."

"That's insulting," Luke commented. 

He reached out to hold my hand in his and his thumb rubbed my skin in a circular motion.

"You can copy mine then," Luke smirked, "Anything I have, you have now anyway."

"Hey!" I threw my pen at him.

"Let's skip to the sexual history part," Luke smirked, his blue eyes scanning the page, "We haven't had that conversation yet anyway. I think now's a perfect time."

My sexual history?  His?

I hid my trepidation behind an overly confident response, "You're right, we haven't and now is as perfect as any. Let's start with you. When was the first time you did it and how many times since?"

Luke practically froze over. His eyes glanced up from the sheet and into my eyes, "You're serious?"

"Yes," I said, but the smile that spread across face gave me away.