39 | This far before

One of Luke's quotes above.  Thank you @_.zahraa_.fazeel._ for turning it into a motivational poster.

Chapter 39: This far before

I've survived today. That's all I've done. Survived today – and somehow – I felt incredibly proud of that.

Finally, we could relax together at home. The TV was on in the background but we paid it no attention. Thai takeaway warmed my belly as I ate the last of its contents. Across from me, Luke finished his.

He had ordered us dinner before switching his phone off. We were both exhausted and his phone lay discarded on the table, next to the soy sauce.

"How much sleep did you get last night?" I asked him as we picked up the empty cartons.

I'd scored a couple hours of sleep before Luke carried me to school on his shoulder this morning. I wonder if he caught any.

"Thirty minutes in class," he answered.

He took our chopsticks and I showed him the recycling. I wondered how he'd managed to survive today on no sleep and with an athlete's schedule.

It reminded me of how disciplined he was. I waited for him in the kitchen while he poured himself another glass of water.

He offered me a glass, but I rejected it. I would've accepted ice cream or a chocolate brownie, but Luke didn't have a sweet tooth and forgot to order dessert.

Maybe he could be dessert. He tempted me so much lately. I was always itching to touch him. 

I watched him drink the cold water and my fingers found their way to the bottom of his shirt. He raised an eyebrow as he finished the glass.

My fingers slipped under his shirt and pressed against the hard outline of his abs. I followed their curvature and pressed the palm of my hand firmly against him. He exhaled, placing the glass on the counter.

"Why didn't you make it to my competition?" I asked him.

His eyes followed the movement of my lips. I'd distracted him.

"I tried," he finally said, "Coach found out about the guys selling their jerseys. He made us all do drills in punishment."

"Drills?" I asked, dropping my hands from him.

Luke caught my hands and put them back onto his body.

I thought that was cute. 

He wrapped his own arms on my waist, looking down at me tenderly, "I wish I could've gotten out of it, but anyone who didn't show up was off the team. He's taking it seriously and making us do sprints every day for the next two weeks."

That sounded like more punishment than anyone could deserve. It always struck me as odd that people willingly subject themselves to 'punishment' in the name of 'training.'

"So what do you prefer," I mused, as our lips came close to touching. I exhaled onto his lips, "Me to be annoyed now or later?"

I was not annoyed at all.  Maybe I should be, and maybe 0.0004% of me was.  But the rest of me was entirely infatuated.

"Later," he smiled, kissing me through his smile, "Definitely later."

"Come," I pulled away and pulled him along with me.

I took him upstairs to my bedroom. It felt so nice to have this night to ourselves. Alone, just the two of us.

One thing I could be sure of, was that my home had fewer distractions than his. My sister and mother like to forget I'm around. And, for once, I didn't think that was a bad thing.