chapter thirteen!

chapter thirteen! the heart attack

─── ✽ ───

"Emily, you've outdone yourself yet again,"
Alan smiled, neatly placing his knife and fork onto his plate,
"Yes, I can't imagine the hours you spent slaving over a hot stove,"

"You're teasing me, Alan," Emily blushed, dismissing the joke.

"It's delicious, Emily,"

"A compliment for my chef is a compliment for me, thank you, Alan," Emily smiled, earning smiles from the rest of her guests.

"I, for once, would like to know where Henry is at this hour. Probably gallivanting around London, like a bull out to stud," Richard complained, shaking his head at the thought of the reckless behaviour.

"Richard, please," interrupts Emily, wishing the conversation would change.

"Well, how is he supposed to negotiate the contract tomorrow morning if he's been out all hours with some cheap tramp,"

"Knowing Henry, she wasn't cheap," Alan grumbled, wrapping his hand around his wine glass.

"This is widely inappropriate dinner conversation, especially in front of young ladies," Emily pleaded, glancing between her granddaughters and her husband.

"Is it unbearably hot in here?" Richard wondered, loosening his bow tie.

"Richard, don't loosen your tie at the table," Emily scolded, Thea's eyes nervously darting to her grandfather.

"So, what are your plans for the Christmas holidays, Rory, Thea?" Holland wondered, turning her attention to the twins.

"I'm volunteering at the hospital," Thea answered, earning proud smiles from her grandparents.

"I'll probably just be hanging out with my mom," Rory answered, a soft smile forming on her lips.

"Oh, it's such a shame she couldn't come, she's always such a kick," Holland smiled, Rory shifting nervously wondering if Emily had mentioned the argument to anyone,
"And where is Lorelai?"

"Lorelai wasn't feeling well, so I suggested she stay home," Emily lied, not wishing to see her daughter.

"It is hot in here, I'm going to lower the thermostat," Richard declared, rising from the table and leaving the dining room under Thea's watchful eye.

"Something's wrong with Grandpa," Thea whispered to Rory, her sculpted eyebrows furrowing together as her sister shook off her concerns.